Motion sensor recommendations

@jrfarrar
What are you using for an ac/dc 3v adapter?
Your not using 1 for all of them are you?
tired of having to go out and buy batteries.

started converting as many of my battery powered sensor as I can to house power or a usb battery pack when no access to house power.
After @SmartHomePrimer pointed some cheap usb adaptors on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391832071461
and these
Pro Mini BTBee Bluetooth Bee USB to Serial port Xbee Adapter for Arduino XBee | eBay

My fibaro water sensors are great with the stock hard wired mod but they are expensive.
but I love my much cheaper Xiaomi Aqara sensors and have converted a few over to house power slowly doing the rest.

1 Like

Something as simple as this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SNGQXU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JYV9J52/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and some connectors for even less work.

You can find similar in lots of places. In some cases, yes. I use 1 for multiple sensors. My basement is a good example. A few motion and door sensors down there, easy to run even a simple CAT5 Ethernet cable to run the power. In the past I've just soldered wires onto the batter terminals but always thought something simple like a dowel rod or even better a 3d printed version of the original battery would be a better idea. That way easy to remove and carry upstairs.

1 Like

I converted several battery devices to usb power:

1 Like

Can anyone comment on the longevity of the GE 26931? I have a few places these would be perfect in manual mode so I can use the motion for other lights, but reviews are mixed. If they're going to quit working relatively quickly, I might as well do a stand alone motion detector up front.

I have a dozen+ of the 26931 and 26933. I love them.

In fact, I'm actively ripping out many of my non-motion GE dimmers/switches and replacing with these (will do 2 more tonight :slight_smile: ).

Not sure why the reviews are mixed, they have been working perfectly for me since install. Most are over a year old at this point. Have had no failures or issues, and the motion detection works as well today as when first installed.

I run some in occupancy mode (closets, pantry, etc), and some in manual mode when I want to do mode based dimming.

I think they are the best zwave switch/dimmer device to come out in years. I wish they did temperature, too, but I guess you can't have everything.

Cant really understand whats the struggle some people have with the Xiaomi Sensors.

I have 10 (mix versions original and Acara) all work flawless. I have just one repeater.

They are extremely fast.

The thing though you need to have the right driver installed.

Those would probably be my choice if I were going for battery powered devices.

Just bought 5 more GE/Jasco 26931 no issues here.

I also love the Xiaomi motion sensors great deal for the money, slowly modifying them off battery to usb power if you are handy with a soldering iron. A fraction of the cost of the 29631.
My aeotec Gen5 siren even had a 3.3 volt header inside on the circuit board I was able to pull power from to attach a Xiaomi motion sensor to.

Yeah, retrofitting a battery sensor to usb can work sometimes, depending on location...

If you want to wall mount it, it isn't that great of an answer unless you want to run wires all over the place through your walls I guess. That is where the GE devices are much more convenient.

My understanding is, they only work with some repeaters, since theyโ€™re not certified zigbee HA devices.

Where did you find reviews of failures?

I'm thinking of converting one of my Xiaomi motion sensors to outdoor use (covered area). Need to test if reception will be good enough without adding another Trรฅdfri outlet near by. Might not be worth the effort.

Anyway, the issue here is the cold, so I need to convert the power from battery to 5 volts supply. I was about to click buy on a 5v to 3v step down, when I remember this Arduino adapter I decided not to use with XBee after your findings with it. Tested and I can get either 2.86v or 3.23v from a 5v input with it. Thought that might be useful to you or anyone else that ordered these, only to find out their not very suitable for XBee.

Just bought 6 more GE/Jasco zw4006 - 26931-2 and only 1 is reporting motion so It looks like there is a batch with issues.

They appear to activate if in vacancy/occupancy mode so the motion sensor is working but not transmitting to the Zwave.
The on/off appears to work fine and report correctly.

I have a request into GE/Jasco but will likely have to return the 5
hopefully just a firmware update.
To bad the ones that work, work great.

@SmartHomePrimer thanks yes I did that on a few of my sensors and put them in a small plastic case. I also got some male usb boards from ebay for aprox. $2 and used those as well.
On one other I just used and old USB cable that had a broken end, cut off the end and used the red and black wire for 5 volts and that worked fine also.

1 Like

looks like some GE/Jasco zw4006 - 26931-2 may have updated firmware.
I just joined all the switches that would not register motion in Hubitat to my old SmartThings V2 hub and they work fine.
I went back and forth between hubs several times with 5 different problem switches and always the same results.

I have sent the live logs of a switch working in SmartThings to Hubitat support so hopefully we will get a simple DH fix.

Went with the ecolink recommendation from earlier in the threat.
I'm pretty disappointed with whats going on. It takes a solid 5 count for the light to turn on, and the logs look like its taking almost 8 seconds to turn on a light.

Any advice?

dev:342019-03-20 04:11:06.733 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Motion is inactive
dev:342019-03-20 04:11:06.728 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Motion is inactive
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:53.687 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is 12% [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:53.679 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is on [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:52.653 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is 12% [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:52.650 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is on [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:52.262 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is 12% [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:52.257 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is on [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:51.140 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is 12% [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:51.136 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is on [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:51.040 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer was set to 12% [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:51.033 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer is on [digital]
dev:132019-03-20 04:10:50.891 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Dimmer was turned on [digital]
app:432019-03-20 04:10:43.824 pm infoTurning on switch [Upstairs Hallway Dimmer]
app:432019-03-20 04:10:43.814 pm infoTurning on switch [Upstairs Hallway Dimmer]
app:432019-03-20 04:10:43.779 pm infoMotion active Upstairs Hallway Motion
app:432019-03-20 04:10:43.776 pm infoMotion active Upstairs Hallway Motion
dev:342019-03-20 04:10:43.772 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Motion is active
dev:342019-03-20 04:10:43.747 pm infoUpstairs Hallway Motion is active
--- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

How are your jumpers configured? That may make a difference.

1 Like

I have 2 of these sensors that I use in my carport and crawlspace. Both are set to TEST mode (for near instant reporting). I've never had any issues with them beyond pairing them.

@ckronengold I'd say something is wonky on your hub. Have you tried removing the sensor and pairing it again?

1 Like

Yes, you pretty much have to set it up in test mode - for most applications a four minute delay after the previous motion stops is too much.

1 Like

Putting it into test mode seems to have done the trick.
But its still a little wonky.
Its like it got faster/better the longer it was connected. Like it was "warming up" or something.
The last few passes have been pretty quick.

I hadn't, but I will. I also just upgraded to the new hub firmware, so I should probably do a reset on the hub anyway.