Motion sensor recommendations

Not sure if they are secure or unsecure. How would I know? I have only brought one over from ST so far and it was not easy to get working right. Motion is still super slow to detect.

I got some good automations set today with the new Iris sensors. That inspired me to try and do a couple with my old Ecolinks too. Man there's a huge difference in sensitivity, and a minor but noticeable difference in response speed. The Iris sensors are awesome, makes me want to ditch the Ecos. If only Lowe's had more than 3! I tried to order some online, but what's up with that truck freight thing?? :rofl:

got a video of this Iris "v3" response:

the green LED comes on and then in the lower left corner, you can see the Hank RGBW light come on (white) then a frame later, Hank hits full bright washing out the Iris.

That Hank bulb is in "instant" mode, so it's as quick as it can be, but your automation certainly won't be slower. :smiley:

2 Likes

Great..so I guess I dont need to hunt down the last stock of v2's. Are the detection angles identical to v2?

1 Like

No, the detection angle and distance of the "v3" is listed as a bit less, but probably still adequate for most/all uses since the v2 was quite sensitive. See this thread and specifically this post for more: New Iris Motion Sensor? Version / Generation 3?

1 Like

GE/Jasco motion switches on sale in the US

1 Like

Really? Mine have been rock solid since connecting them. I never have any issues with them. I've had them connected since I jumped over to hubitat with no issues whatsoever. That surprises me to hear that you have any trouble with them. They're my absolute fave.

1 Like

Good to hear you're having no issues. Are yours all VERY close to the hub? I have had this issue with anything that is more than 20 feet away. My back door sensor is just over that. It's not that is drops all the time. Anything that is close, stays pretty solid, but it just that they stop responding about a day or so after pairing, and I have to wake them with a press of the pairing button. Once I go through that a few times, they are good. Any contact sensor or motion sensor that less than 20 feet away does not do that at all.

My Xiaomi leak sensors don't to that at all. They don't even drop. For what ever reason, they always stay paired. All are close to the hub though. Buttons are all good to, except for one that is fairly close, but drops occasionally.

Having said all this, so far they have all stayed solid with the IKEA Trådfri outlets in place, but I'm not declaring victory until I see some hard facts about their ability to repeat Xiaomi devices. All anecdotal evidence at this point.

Happy Thanksgiving!

A friend of mine solved this issue the same way. With Tradfri. And, I'm lucky that way. I have 2200 square feet, but my hub is exactly in the center of the house, so I would have to say that they don't exceed 20 feet, but I do have less of a signal upstairs than down. But they're all still solid, in spite of that.

1 Like

With the outlet or bulbs? The Trådfri bulb actually caused a problem when I tried it in combination with the Trådfri outlets.

I belive it was the bulbs. I messaged him to confirm. It's been a while, but i'm almost sure it was the bulbs.

Oh, probably the bulbs unless you're in the UK or a country where they've been around for a while. Inventory has just arrived in the US and Canada within the last week or so.

That's surprising that it's been stable for him with bulbs. Their typically not stable repeaters. I've learned my lesson and won't try to use them for that again. Every bulb I have except for the Sengled which don't repeat signals at all is back on the Hue Bridge where they can't mess with Hubitat's Zigbee mesh.

He's in the UK. That might explain a lot. But he had a terrible time with them dropping off his network before adding them. I'm not sure If he's still having any issues. Probably not if it's not ranting to us about them. He was very frustrated.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

Iris v3 on sale now :slight_smile:

:rage:Dam u :thinking:Must resist :pleading_face: Why :disappointed: Resistance is Futile

1 Like

Just to add another factor to consider: Lowes has announced that they are going to get out of the smart home business, and they are trying to find a buyer for Iris.

@bravenel @patrick

I'm visiting the states for 5 weeks over Christmas and New year, and will buy a few of these motion sensors today (ship to a mates house). Just checking they don't require an Iris hub in the middle and they connect directly to hubitat?

These are standard Zigbee. Connect directly to Hubitat.