Motion Sensor Recommendations

In the market for some new motion sensors. I really liked the Iris ones but since those are no longer available what do you recommend that's as fast?

If you really like the Iris v2 motion sensors, one seller often has lots of 10 for sale for incredibly cheap, around $55 USD. Looks like this listing is still active: Lot of 10 Iris Motion Sensor 3326-L 689990563377 | eBay. If you like the Iris v2 sensors, I say go for it! Lots of us, myself included, love these sensors and have also bought from this seller without problem. I need not say that this is a great price (plus some have even come apparently new despite being listed as used, though usually that is what you'll get).

Otherwise, if you want new, there are lot of options. The Sylvania/Lightify motion sensor is made by the same OEM, Centralite, and is more or less just a slightly uglier (IMHO) but similarly sized version of the same sensor (it has mixed reviews on Amazon, but most of the bad ones seem to be people who don't know how to pair devices and choose DTHs on SmartThings). The new SmartThings motion sensor is also nice--a bit larger, but has an adjustable magnetic ball mount (buying directly from Samsung often gives you discounts for buying multiple ones if they have a promotion going on at that time).

Since "fast" is your main criterion, I'd avoid Z-Wave sensors, all of which in my experience have been noticeably slower than any Zigbee sensor I've used, though some are better than others (I've done some tests and haven't compiled all of my data yet, but a cursory look suggests the Zooz 4-in-1 is often the fastest Z-Wave sensor but close to only the slowest Zigbee sensor I tested, which was often the Iris v3, but these differences are "only" a few hundred milliseconds; the slowest Z-Wave sensors were often a second or more slower than the fastest Zigbee sensor, though differences far less than that can be annoying when using them for motion lighting).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.