Motion sensor not updating

I just installed a brand new sonoff motion sensor. But, I see that the "last activity" is empty in the device page. When I added it to my dashboard, it is showing "unknown" status. Any idea what is happening here?

Did you try hitting Configure?

yes, i did that and pressed save device again too. I think when I move, i do see the red led blink, which seems to suggest that the hardware did see motion.

Does it show any events on the device page?

Also, no updated battery level either:

No events yet.

Anything showing in the logs?

Try pairing it again.
Do not delete the device first as the hub will find it as an already existing device.

1 Like

Logs only show the actual button presses I did on device page:

I have a bunch of these (100ish). They sometimes take a while to start reporting. Never have figured it out but other seem to start right up. Even some of the battery reporting take several days. Also do not depend on battery reporting for accuracy . I replace all batteries at 40% left or 3 months on the ones that never change from 100%. 2 cents.

you mean even the motion triggers and logging took some time to start in those cases?

I use the following community driver with those sensors:

1 Like

Oh wow, there are Sonoff drivers!! Thanks..let me try these too

1 Like

You should try a re-pair. Wouldn't mind betting it would populate all the missing info.
It does for me.

Somehow the pin reset was also not working reliably, even though the sensor was blinking red light on motion. I took off the battery, reinserted. Then did a reset, which worked this time. Post reset, and re-pair I can see all attributes updated!
Then, I switched to sonoff community driver, and did a re-pair. It has switched to the new driver now and is reporting the data now!

Thanks all!!

3 Likes

Correct. I had several take an hour or so before it even start shows motion.