Motion Lights - want to turn off lights automatically if turned on manually

Hi, I'm a new hubitat user, overall really enjoyed using hubitat. I've set up the default motion lighting app and it does pretty much everything I want:

• Turn on lights when motion detected
  • turn on lights when contact sensor open
  • Turn off lights after delay
  • Don't turn on lights when a switch is off

But there is one edge case, that doesn't do what I want (but might be expected behavior). I want to turn off the lights after delay if turned on through other actions.

So for example, if I turn on the lights with Google home, I would like them to automatically turn off after the delay.

From what I can tell there isn't a way to do it with the existing motion lights app. I could add a rule in rule engine, but that could cause conflicts with the motion lights app.

Do you want there to still need to be motion in order to turn them off, or do you just want to turn them off after a delay regardless (but presumably can cancelled if there is motion or contact activity)?

I see this has been sitting since, waiting for a reply from the original poster. I have a similar interest so will jump in.
I have kitchen lights on a dimmer and would like them to turn off after a few minutes of no activity in the room. I don't want them to come on automatically, preferring to turn them on with Alexa, a Hubitat set time or manually. There may be times we want the lights on without anyone in the room and I still want them to turn off after a period of inactivity.

Devices involved:
GE Dimmer operating the lights, separate GE Motion dimmer (different lights in the kitchen), another battery motion detector for full coverage of the area.

So, I want to ask Alexa to turn on the kitchen lights and they remain on as long as either of these motion detectors senses motion and turn off the lights 5 minutes after I leave the room.

I have tried If/Then via rule machine, but can't seem to get a trigger right (just guessing why it doesn't run). If the lights are turned on but no-one ever enters the room (no motion ever), it doesn't seem to start the sequence or know to turn them off. The most success has been using a simple rule (picture included).

Does there have to be motion in the room to trigger this to run? Is this the best, or is there a better recommendation?

Thank you for your thoughts and input.

Thanks mircolino. Could I still use each motion detector independently or would they tied together for all and ever?
I mean I have the GE motion dimmer controlling a separate set of lights and don't want to change that.

Thank you.

Got it, Thanks again. I'm giving this a try now.

1 Like

Here is what I've done. "Zone motion controller" forces me to make a time selection. I selected 5 min.
The hope is I can turn the light on manually or more likely via Alexa and as long as I'm in the room the light stays on. Then 2 minutes of inactivity the lights will turn off.
Here's the rule as of now...

OK>. I've changed the Motion zone to 5 sec and updated the rule as follows...

Thanks again for your help.

1 Like