Motion Lighting Question/Help

So I have all my motion sensors setup to turn on lights in bathrooms/laundry room. That part works great. I have them set for a 5 minute timeout, so if the kids are in there showering etc they don't turn off (6 year got quite upset when they turned off on her when she was showering).

The problem I have is if I go into the bathroom the lights come on, if I leave and turn off the light via the switch (HUE dimmer switch), then go back into the bathroom inside the 5 minute timeout the lights do not turn back on. If its after the 5 minute timeout they do

What do I need to do to fix this?

Cheers

Try turning on override. That's in Options for Turn-On

What does this setting do, in detail? I haven't ever understood it completely.

For example, you dim the lights, but then the motion sensor picks up your movements and returns the light to the preset level. Turning the option on will prevent your manual setting from being overridden.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Motion_Lighting_Apps

1 Like

This type of deeper explanation and example should be implemented in hover tooltips all over HE in my opinion. Theres no way that a couple of words next to the button explains these complex concepts adequately.

Click the ? Icon in the top right of the app and you are taken to the help doc for that app.

here is a question:
"buttons to disable off" what resets this and allows the lights to turn off after a timer again? manually turning the lights off doesn't seem to work and there isn't another button to toggle this that I see.

You can use enable at time. Also, there is enable with button. Both in On Options.

Just a quick reply this did not work, the lights still do not come back on until the timeout has passed.

Need to see how you have it setup. Post screenshot.

Here you go

Please turn on the logging for the app, and make it do what isn't working for you. The logs will show what is or is not happening.

Here you go

At 9:16:55 I turned the lights off at the switch (Hue Switch), you can see it registered the new motion but did not turn the lights back on as they are in the 'timeout period'

Went back in a bit later still no lights

Extended log showing override kicking in, if you look at the timestamps its right at the end of the first motion sensor timeout

It's not seeing that the light was turned off. So, it thinks they are still on --> won't turn them on again. See what happens when you turn the light off with the Hue Switch device page instead of the switch.

Is the Hue Switch even part of your Hubitat system?

Hey Bruce,

The Hue Switches do not show up as being able to be added to Hubitat, how would I add these when they do not show up as available? all I see in the Hue connector is the bulbs

The Hue bridge won't send events to Hubitat, so this isn't going to work for you this way. If it was a Z-Wave, Zigbee or Lutron switch that reports events to Hubitat, that could be made to work both for turning off the lights (via Hubitat) and for making this automation do what you want. But the Hue switch connected to the Hue bridge can't serve that purpose.

Hey Bruce,

Thanks for looking into this are there any plans to make the switches work via the integration like they do in SmartThings? I would hate to have to re-add my SmartThings hub just for these switches

The Hue dimmer switch can be paired directly to Hubitat, this is the recommended way to use this device.

Do I still keep the ability to use the button click modes?

They work but are sluggish compared to being connected to the hue bridge