Motion Lighting On with contact - staying on

Just came across this post as it addresses a similar scenario that I am currently looking at. I have motion lighting in a bathroom that I would like to "jump-start" with a door sensor. Once the door contacts detects a door-open, I want the lights to be triggered and then have the motion sensor routine take over. I can't seem to get this to work, the code works fine for the motion sensor alone but once I add the variable for the door contact, the light simply stays on. Any advice on what I might do wrong here?

I use motion lighting which is faster than RM. I use this small app that @bravenel wrote to make a contact sensor appear as a contact-motion sensor which can be incorporated with actual motion sensors into the built-in Zone Motion app. I use the virtual motion sensor from that as the motion sensor for Motion Lighting. It may sound complex, but it is lightning fast. Lights come on well before I have the door all of the way open.

1 Like

Thanks, I just played with that a bit and it seems to work well. Having said that, there is one issue that I am not sure how to address. When I enter the room, the lights turn on very quickly and the motion sensor keeps them on. Since this is a bathroom, whoever goes in there is likely to close the door once inside :wink:
Now, when you turn off the lights in the room before you open the door, the contact-motion sensor will turn them right back on. It would be great if there was a timer function that keeps the motion lighting app from reactivating for a few seconds once the lights are turned off manually.

Never mind - I was able to accomplish the delay with a virtual switch that turns on for 5 seconds once the lights are turned off - works great now.

1 Like

Ken I seem to have an issue. I thought I followed your directions but the lights are not coming on in my garage when I open the door. I have a contact sensor on the door and a motion detector in the garage.

• The code for the user app was added to my HE and the interior garage door was added as the contact sensor. Named: Garage Door Contact Motion

• The built in Zone Motion Controllers app was added. Created a Zone named Garage Motion Zone. Setup as a trigger activated zone with the motion sensors Garage Door Contact Motion and Garage Motion Sensor. The activation window is 5 seconds with a timeout of 5 minutes.

• The Motion Lighting App us very simple. The motion trigger is mZone - Garage Motion Zone, turns on the garage switch, and delays for 1 minute.

Where did I go wrong?

Set this up as Motion Aggregation. Also, don't use a long timeout in the Zone controller, I just use 1 or 2 minutes. I set the real timer in Motion Lighting.

1 Like

So it seems like it's working. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi all, I am doing something wrong and Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s simple. The scenario is this:

I want the lights to turn on for my attic when I open the attic stairs (pull down), then turn off after 5 min when I close it up.

Right now I can turn it on when I pull down from the contact sensor, but when I close it it turns off immediately. I have it set for a 5 min delay and have tried all the different modes as well with that setting.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Eric

Can we please see a screenshot of how you setup the automation? And why are you using Motion Lighting (the subject of this thread)? It would seem that Simple Automation would be a better choice since no motion sensor is involved.

Thanks for responding. The reason Iโ€™m using this is because I donโ€™t know any better and it was listed under Lighting. Iโ€™m fairly new to Hubitat (came from ST).

Hope these shots help.

I believe if you switch to Simple Automation, it can easily do what you want.

Simple Automation Rules - Hubitat Documentation

Welcome to the Hubitat Community! Post back in a new thread if you have difficulty.

Ty will try!
Worked perfect ty!

1 Like