Motion Lighting Doesn't Work but simple does

Channel 26 is not advisable at all. It has 4dB less transmit power then the other channels. If HE utilizes the max transmit power. I've set mine to channel 11 just to be sure and moved my wifi to other side of the band.

1 Like

will try channel 11. thank you

1 Like

bit the bullet and put everything over. so now all zigbee devices are on hubitat. (yayz). creating the rules is super fast tho on the lan compared to doing it via st so i should have all my rule setup pretty quickly. initial checks seems like the network is nice and strong now and zigbee response is fast. (i hope it stays!)

1 Like

Actually. Logs are not showing light's been turned on. (From what I can tell)

At 6.39 pm motion was detected (when I walked into room) and light's didn't respond at all. Logs on light's show nothing after 626pm. They are still working manually in hubitat app tho.

Only unique thing about this lifx group is it's made up off:
Four GU10 lifx down light's
1 lifx z strip.
All under the one group.

The other lifx groups respond great. So im thinking it's that... Tho there is one other group with same setup that has zero issues. It's just the kitchen group.

And then about five minutes later new motion detected and it does turn on the lights

Here's the rule again

I'd really appreciate any advice on this

That's very odd, and I can't say that I know what's going on here.

Alright thanks. Any tips on what I can try to resolve it ?

Could the app install be bad. I could remove that rule and re do it. I think I have already tho.

so the common setup between the two motion lighting rules that i'm having this issue is both rules use dimmer & color actions.

kitchen rule:

dining rules:

Perhaps there is a bug where you use both types? or is that against the rules?

i'm gong to break out the color rule for asleep mode into a sep motion lighting rule

No, this is not a problem. I can do this just fine in a test. The mystery is why nothing is being logged when it fails.

Looking at your logs again, when it fails, it is in the time window of the 6 minutes delayed off. So the app thinks the lights are still on at that point. Did you turn them off through some other mechanism than the app? If so, it could be that the app doesn't see that off happening, and doesn't turn them on out of the (mistaken) belief they are already on. Yet, when you wait 5 minutes, it turns them off at the end of the timer, knows they are off, and so turns them on as it should.

hey @bravenel thanks for the reply.

Nope there are no manual interactions here. you'll note at the start of the log when it first should turn on (kitchen) there was no interaction prior for at least 20 minutes (i know you can't see those logs ) . the lights were off, the motion was active for over 10 minutes.

I am having issues with my lounge one as well which also has sep rules for color. it's easy for me to test this setup and wil see how it goes. but it's very odd there is no log when nothing happens as you say.

happy to help with whatever additional info you might need?

There's nothing more I need. It's a mystery at this point. I can put a tiny bit more logging in. The only two conditions that would not turn on the lights from motion (looking at the code) are the instance is paused, or it thinks the light is on (it has a state variable that records this). I can add logging to reveal these two things.

If you can get it to fail, immediately look at the app status page. In the Application State section, look at a variable called "on". If that is true, then the app thinks the lights are on and won't turn them on. Actually, the thing to do is to look at it before you get it too fail. It should be false. This is turned true by the lights turning on, and false by them turning off.

1 Like

ok this helps. that sounds like it might be it.

that means that perhaps the lifx group of groups driver is not refreshing or getting latest data correctly I presume.

what's the diff between alreadyon and on?

"alreadyon" is used for the option called "Don't turn off if already on". "on" reflects the app's understanding of the state of the lights it is controlling.

1 Like

accidentally deleted my post

yep that is the cause. I just tested it and it didn't turn on. check state of app and it was set at "On = true"

kitchen lights turned off at 10:11:23 today

I walked into the kitchen at 10:12 (motion off in kitchen since 10:10)

but the kitchen app state said "On true"

so it seems the app is not getting the off state of the lights from this device type?

additional test just now:

kitchen lights turned off via hubitat (not manually through this app when it just worked)

and the state of the app did not change.

BUT the kitchen app had a scheduled job to turn light off still. when that finished running the state changed for on = false

if another automation in hubitat turns off the light. will the kitchen motion lighting app pick this up?

i don't have anything else running for it but i may have missed something. (smartthings hub has been unplugged for a day already so it's not that)

Try enabling Override in the Options for On section. See if that changes how it responds. Ordinarily, it is not listening for off.

1 Like

thank you. no other app is updating it so i need to work out what is actually turning it off.

you mean this setting?

yes

1 Like

So that seems to have made it worse not sure. in the kitchen the light doens't turn off. it goes to 20% brightness and doesn't respond anymore. we aren't changing it manually either.

So is this override meant to make it ignore the current state of the switch? it woudl be good to have that option is it doesn't exist .

No, override is meant to allow someone to prevent ML from changing the level if they change it themselves. Also select "for level only" option, so it will still turn off the lights if they are changed. Override also makes it listen for the light being turned off, which seemed to be your problem before.