Motion lighting-Disabled by manual switches or buttons?

Hello all!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I have a few questions that I just can’t find a clear answer on anywhere. Using this community info, YouTube and other resources I’ve learned quite a bit DAILY.

Questions:

1. If I create motion lighting app in a room; set my sensors to keep lights on; set off delay timer; maybe couple additional motion sensors to keep on- all simple automation. Will someone shutting the light switch off for this light (smart paddle switch) disable the next motion trigger?
  • is this what “switches to enable on” & “switches to enable off” are for so the system knows to capture that event and update the status?? If so, it seems inconsistent from simple automation app.
  1. Ideal scenario for my home bedrooms-One bedroom I have fans on smart plug, led lights on smart plug, lamps on smart, and a bigger lamp on smart wall switch.. I have zooz switches that allow me to assign that switch to power toggle or switch on all those smart plugs—> Can I make a smart switch power on what Evers connected plus those smart plugs???

I have scene controllers and when I use this to turn on lights it seems to not want to use motion -trigger-light-automation also.

I’ve read the online guide links from web ui, it sorta leans towards what I described so I’ve set it up the way I explain above... am I on the right track?

I forgot to add one more question!!! In the device list where you can adjust configurations - led brightness, RE trigger, sensitivity and etc. Is there any tips on best settings for motion sensors ? Currently using Fibaro multi (they are awesome) and the eco links in more common areas. Batteries last very well! I don’t want to contradict any device configurations with my automations.

I haven't read all of your post yet, but this is certainly something I thought I had solved, but an still finding a few gremlins with, at least with how I have set it up. I will try and post back here with any solutions I find.

In the meantime, the manual control disabling motion control option you want to use is the Alexa option. I have taken some notes on another thread which is here:

Simon

1 Like

Greetings. I hope I'm not speaking out-of-turn, or answering the wrong question, but I'll share what I've done. In our Kitchen, I want to turn the lights on via Alexa or with the manual switch (not motion) and have them stay on as long as someone is in the room but then turn off a few minutes after everyone leaves. (human input - on, lack of motion - auto off)
I tried RM, Motion lighting without success. The solution that has been consistently working is a simple rule that turns the lights off after no motion is detected in the kitchen motion zone for several minutes.
So I created a Kitchen motion zone and used absence of motion to turn off the lights. I couldn't get other methods or rules to work correctly. I have not found this to be disabled regardless of the sequence. Other, more knowledgeable people here may give you a better solution.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I like it, this way the system logged ‘Off’

Is this the way i should have programmed from the beginning???

This is the simple rule I have set for my Kitchen lights. We turn them on when we want, some use Alexa, some prefer the physical switch (dimmer actually). I have one GE motion dimmer, that turns on a different light with motion and added a separate EvoLink motion detector to cover the "dead spots" the other doesn't see. So you'll find the two motion detectors waiting for no motion. As part of my morning routine, I have the kitchen light come on with a timer in a separate rule at 6:00 AM and off at 6:45 AM. You'll see the exclusion of this "auto off" rule to not interfere with my morning script. When there has been no motion in the kitchen area for 3 minutes, it turns off the kitchen lights. This has been stable for me.
Your second simple rule looks to me like It should work...

I hope this helps...

i never had luck with that option working reliably i change to pure rule machine and then had physiucal switch on or dim to turn on a virtual switch that disables the automation and reeneables it.
first i tried to paused resume the rule but was getting weird errors regarding trying to resume a rule that was not paused so switchd to this implmentation.

1 Like

Thanks khan-habitat. See that's why this is so interesting that is one of th suggestions someone else offered me. I tried it and it wouldn't turn the lights off. It didn't work for me but my simply rule never fails. So odd that what works for one doesn't for another. Fascinating.

I think maybe I’ve been doing this wrong from the get-go. I used to program automations to turn on lights with motion but I’m seeing others start with “lights off after certain time, turn on when motion starts (toggle).
My automations used to like like this picture, this is what gives me trouble. Someone comes along and turns off smart switch then it doesn’t work with automation.

I used Motion and Mode Lighting Apps for situations I want the light to turn on with motion and off with no motion, or after a period of time.

This is how I treat my Master Bath. There are two motion dimmers in different areas providing coverage for the entire area and around corners. These were separate areas when the house was built, but with smart switches I can combine all areas as one entity. Upon entry, the lights come on, and remain on as long as the area is occupied. Then 1-2 minutes after there is no more motion, the lights go off.

Someone had mentioned using Alexa as a switch or virtual device. I did something like this a week ago by accident - essentially created a whole room as Alexa and then was able to add it as a button..

This is what you are referring to, can you explain further?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.