Motion Lighting Delay Off No Longer Working

After upgrade to 2.2.8 my motion lighting apps no longer work.

It appears there are several things happening. When the rule triggers from motion it has a delay turn off of 2 minutes, but the lights are NOT turning off when they should.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.46.47 AM

it is 8:50 and the light is still on.

If I manually turn the light off it may or may not recognize the change of state and the next motion fails because "light is already on".

I have tried modifying the apps and hitting done - doesn't help.

Reboot also didn't help.

Created new child app - also doesn't work.

There have been no changes to Motion Lighting in 2.2.8 except with respect to how Color Temperature bulbs are set. I'm not seeing this problem in about 20 Motion Lighting instances that I have.

Please show the Motion Lighting rule that is failing... Another thing that would be helpful is to open the App Status page during the 2 minute delay, and post the Scheduled Jobs from then bottom of that page.

Hey Bruce, thanks for the quick reply.

I found several issues going on and didn't have time to t/s everything. I reverted to 2.2.7 and restored a backup from 14th. Not 100% positive issue was from 2.2.8, had some wonkiness that started on 14th where some things didn't work all the time.

Besides the motion lights not working as expected, I also found a Zone Motion device stuck in Active. I tried changing out the motion detectors and manually causing active, but it would not go back to inactive and I had to recreate it - which sucks because it was in use by several other apps.

After the rollback things appear working okay. Will probably try 2.2.8 again next week.

Hi I am experiencing the same issue with all my motion rules. When I set the delay to 0 minutes the lights turn of properly as soon as the motion sensor returns to inactive. But configuring any delay will result in the lights not turning off after the delay.

Please turn on logging in the Motion Lighting instance, so you can post a screenshot here, along with posting the setup page for it as well.

1 Like

Thank you for your response.

I've added the screens hots you've requested.
I need to add, it used to work just fine.

I've removed and "reinstalled" the motion and mode automation app completely and restarted the hub between those two actions.

I've created one rule for the toilet and it still will not turn the lights off after two minutes of inactivity.

I hope you can see something that's wrong.

Thank you in advance.

Do you have access to a computer? I need to see the App Status page (cog icon) for the Motion Lighting app, right after it logs "Delaying off for 2 minutes", near the bottom of the page, there are Scheduled Jobs. It's very hard for me to do this with mobile screenshots.

I am so terribly sorry!

Please come back to me if this still isn't what you've asked:

Application State

Name Value

alreadyOn false
btnTable {}
contactOffDisabled false
contactOnDisabled false
contactUpdated true
firstRun true
installedCapabs [EnergyMeter, Configuration, RelativeHumidityMeasurement, HealthCheck, VoltageMeasurement, Initialize, Notification, Refresh, ReleasableButton, SwitchLevel, HoldableButton, ColorTemperature, SpeechSynthesis, DoubleTapableButton, Light, MotionSensor, TamperAlert, Battery, Outlet, UltravioletIndex, CarbonMonoxideDetector, Actuator, PresenceSensor, Polling, MediaTransport, AudioVolume, ChangeLevel, PushableButton, PowerMeter, TemperatureMeasurement, AccelerationSensor, Switch, IlluminanceMeasurement, Tone, Bulb, Alarm, SmokeDetector, Chime, Sensor]
inUseVars []
modeOffDisabled false
noModes true
notTurnedOn false
offEnable true
on true
onEnabled true
override false
pauseUpdated true
switchOffDisabled false
switchOnEnabled true
turnedOff false
variableOffDisabled false
variableOnDisabled false
Scheduled Jobs

Handler Next Run Time Prev Run Time Status Schedule

turnOff 2021-10-20 19:31:36 CEST PENDING Once
![Toilet Status_20211020 690x359](upload://cF8c4rrTJd9zUwxeeJqVZ0Zf1qG.png)

Just use screenshots from a computer, works best. I can't tell from the above actually what was displayed, and it matters to diagnose a problem.

So, the turnOff was scheduled, but did it happen in the app? That is the part of the logs for the app.

To capture the right logs (screenshot from computer), you need to start with a fresh Logs page, and make the app do its thing. Then show that screenshot. It will interleave the device and the app in the Logs, so we can see the whole thing with context. You have to let the 2:00 minutes run, or for testing reduce the amount of time.

Hi Bravenel,

Thank you for your patience. I've tried to follow your instructions.
I hope this will help you help me.

Interesting, so there is no evidence that app ever sent the off command.

What platform build are you on? Settings / Hub Details...

I just updated again two days ago.

Since the update before that I started to notice that the automation stopped working.

I dot think it's app related though. When I delete this instance from motion and mode lightning, and create one in the simple automation app, it doesn't work eighter.

When I create the rules in motion and mode lightning app without a time delay, it works like a charm.

That said, I can't get modes to change automatically based on time eighter.

Is it possible that something time related is on pause/ignore/not working within the hubitat somewhere?

That's very odd. Reboot your hub, and see if that fixes it.

I did that twice today.
First when I removed the motion and mode lightning app, before activating it again.
Second time when it got stuck after I made a wrong turn.

Then I did that two days ago with the update and before that there where several times I did a manual reboot or asked it to shut down before cutting of the power supply.

I think it rebooted plenty.

And I agree with you. It is odd. :joy:

Thank you for helping me this far.

Thanks to Bravenel and gropher.ny my malfunctioning motion and mode lightning app is functioning again.

In this case the solution was to back-up the database and soft reset the hub.
After doing so and reloading the existing database back into the hub it worked like a charm.

Again thank you guys for your patience and help!

2 Likes