Motion Lighting Apps (Switch to Disable Automation Enhancement)

I noticed that the simple lighting app has a "disable with switch" option that works the same was as RM. Specifically the ability to specify if the automation is disabled when the switch is ON or OFF. However the automations created by Motion Lighting Apps only allow you disable when switch is ON.

Is there a possibility that we might see the ability to choose the switch state that disables the automation?

Thanks!

PS. As a side note, this would make the app more consistent with simple lighting and RM which might make it easier for a new HE user to understand.

This isn't really true, because for both RM and SL you are talking about Restrictions. Restrictions don't really fit with Motion Lighting for a number of reasons. E.g., Motion Lighting includes things such as turning on all of the lights in a room from a single switch, which is hardly a candidate for a Restriction. So we can't very well put Restrictions in Motion Lighting without creating even more confusion as to what to expect from the app.

Do you actually have a use case where disabling turning on from motion in an instance of Motion Lighting by turning off a switch makes sense? If so, please share it.

Ok, my automation for turning my hallway lights that flank my living room have different levels depending on whether or not my family is using our "home theater".

If "home theater mode" is active I have lower levels based on location mode so it doesn't disrupt the viewing experience as much as it would at the normal levels.

If "home theater mode" is inactive I have higher levels set depending on the location mode.

I use a switch to specify this so that I don't have to effect other automations that are tied to location mode throughout the home.

With RM and Simple Lighting I am able to restrict the "home theater mode" lighting with a single switch "ht active ON or OFF" but with motion lighting I have to use two switches.

eg.

Downstairs Hall Motion Lighting (normal)
set level 80
disable with switch HT Active

Downstairs Hall Motion (ht active)
set level 20
disable with switch HT Inactive

I guess at the end of the day it may be just easier to use RM to do this?

So you have two different Motion Lighting automations for the same hallway, with different settings based on the "home theater mode" virtual switch? And you want to disable one or the other, one with 'on' and one with 'off', right?

correct, and the "home theater mode active/inactive" is set using harmony hub virtual switch tied to those activities. Also, why I'm looking forward to native harmony integration so that this can be more responsive.

Understood. Nice automation!

Check it out:

Next release.

1 Like

Thanks!

Will this also be available to the switch to prevent turning off too? Or does the switch disable both by default?

No, this is just for the disable-on part. Do you need it for disable-off part? Options for turning on and options for turning off are completely independent of each other in Motion Lighting.

Well I also use that switch to disable turning on and off automation of the main lighting in the living room during "home theater mode", so yes, that would be a plus, but not as important.

I see the "enhancement" was added to be able to specify if the switch state to prevent turning the light on, but I guess the ability to specify for disabling the off wasn't?

There was a request for the former but not the latter. Are you requesting it?

I'm sorry, I thought it was clear that having it available to both was a plus. Again I can work around it, but it would definitely be nice.

Next release... coming today.

3 Likes

This has been released. Please check it out, and let me know if it works for you.

Just finished updating, thanks! This allowed me to delete a couple of extra rules I was using to work-a-round this "feature" in my configurations.

Now, if only the Hue Integration would allow transition time modification, I would be in heaven! I have some home-theater scenes that I like to use gradual fade-in/fade-out to give a more "theater-like" effect.

Thanks again!