Motion lighting app - not working as expected

I have a motion lighting app that is not working as expected - any thoughts on what I need to do?

I want it to turn on with motion when I walk into the room after dark, and stay on as long as I keep a second motion sensor active ( Samsung motion sensor at the door, but it can’t see where I normally am in the room, so I have a second microwave sensor to detect when I am there).

It works as expected at night, but during the day, if I turn on the light manually, when the microwave motion sensor times out, the light shuts off. I would not have expected this behavior, and have tried a number of things, but it still is not doing what I want. I am attaching a screen shot of my app settings - any ideas?

First of all, welcome to the community.

Secondly, for clarification, do you only want motion-on/motion-off during the night region or do you want motion-on during the night region and motion-off all day?

Because as written I believe it should be turning off the lights due to lack of motion all day. The only thing that would stop this is that Don't turn off if already on, but this would only keep a light on that was on before motion was detected. It kind of saves the state before motion, and returns it to that state after motion stops.

If you only want auto off during night, then that is simple, just limit it liked you did for the auto on. But if you want auto off all day, except for when you don't which is not scheduled, then you have to play around with the overrides that disable/enable the motion sensors/the rule in general from being looked at.

These overrides can be turned on in a variety of ways from virtual switches connected to Alexa/GH, to additional sensors that detect "presence" other than motion, pressure sensor, button, etc., to something as specific as monitoring the current status of your TV. It really comes down to trying to find a pattern for when you don't want the sensors to be taken into consideration and using that pattern to your advantage. If there is no pattern then something like Alexa/GH or a physical button would probably be best.

if you use simple automation it should work, it wont trigger an off if 'it' hasn't turned it on

This is correct, you need to select options for off and tell it not to turn off in your other modes. By default once you link your lights with the motion it's linked so if gives to multiple options, absence, presence, lux switching etc.

As you want different options for different times of days you will probably want to tick the settings per mode. Then you can do what ever you want depending on your home mode.

I only want it to turn off (and on) automatically after dark. I don’t use modes yet, am I am not sure I am quite ready for that, because it’s difficult with 4 adults in the home who work multiple schedules. Is it possible to do that without modes?

There is a illumination level option if you have a lux reporting device

This is a rule I have, might help your thinking

Or this in the motion lighting app

So above 5 lux nothing happens
Under 5 lux it will switch on or off using motion unless the tv or projector are on

Yes it is.

And

Or you could create a virtual switch that turns on at sunset and off at sunrise and use that in ML to disable/enable ML.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.