Most successful presence detection?

If you have an Android try using tasker and wifi connected to send command to HE via Maker API. I have done this for 2+ years and I haven't had any issues with reliability. Of course if the internet goes out it would mark you as not present but you could set up conditions in tasker or in a rule to help that.

Edit: I use nfc tags for the kids as well. Those are a solid option for presence too.

1 Like

This is a great point. I've been using Life360 for years and I've been lucky as it is super reliable. I didn't even realize that there was a Refresh Life360 device in Hubitat. I've set a rule for it to refresh every 10 minutes as you suggested. Fingers crossed that will help. Thanks!

1 Like

Lucy, I'm home. :smiley:

6 Likes

:rofl:

At our house:

Oh, June .. I'm home.

In here, Ward.

1 Like

If you are a lutron user and you only need presence for yourself, the luton app works great.

I have given up on GPS phone presence for now. We use [RELEASE] Improved Mobile Presence (Android only) for my household. It is wifi based but has been very reliable for me.

In my house I say I'm home! The dog just looks at me like "so what!"

2 Likes

I’m late to the party… but apple’s Shortcuts app is the most reliable way to track presence I’ve ever used so far. Sadly, it still requires user input to confirm that they’re not being stalked… but hopefully that changes with the next version of iOS.

I use @joelwetzel 's Wifi presence sensor driver with his combined presence senor app and a smart things presence fob on my keychain. This has been pretty reliable for me. When home, even if my phone drops off wifi, nothing will be triggered since my keys are in the house but both must be present to trigger lets say the door lock when I arrive home. Or both must be gone to trigger the door lock to lock

2 Likes

Does this require an Apple TV or iPad as a hub?

Nope. Just set up a Siri Shortcut that sends a GET command to a custom Maker API Endpoint. Super lightweight

I know this has been awhile since you posted but I am new to Hubitat and currently it (along with my old nemesis SmartThings that I just left) are doing horrible reporting with their native apps. We too are entirely iPhone based and I would love to do what you are doing. Do you have any advice/reading/guides for setting up what you are doing? Thanks in advance.

1. You need something to act as a hub at home. Apple TV, HomePod, or always-on iPad work. Also, your Hubitat hub needs to have a static IP on the local network.
  2. In Hubitat, create a "Virtual Presence" device for each person
  3. Install the "Maker API" application give it a label (e.g. "Presence Detection") and turn on "Allow Access via Local IP Address"
  4. In the "Select Devices," select all virtual presence sensor you created in step 2. above
  5. In the "Local URLs" section, click the "Get all Devices" link and write down the "id" values for each device
  6. In the Shortcuts app on iOS, select the "Automations" tab and for each device, create two automations:
    a. When "Person A Leaves Home" -> URL ("http://HubIP/apps/api/xxx/devices/yyy/departed?access_token=zzz") -> Get contents of URL (where xxx, yyy, and zzz are the values listed on the Maker API page on your hub)
    b. When "Person A Arrives Home" -> URL (as above, replacing "departed" with "arrived") -> Get contents of URL
7 Likes

Thanks so much. That was super easy and I never would have figured that out on my own. I really appreciate the assistance.

So this was my first time using Shortcuts so I’m looking to confirm if I’m doing it right as it didn’t perform the way I expected. When I left home this morning it didn’t automatically trigger the presence but gave me a notification that I had to click on (when I arrived at my destination) to actually activate it. Is there something I did wrong that the URL doesn’t automatically process or is this how it’s supposed to work?

I’m hoping it can be completely automatic as there’s about a .1% chance my wife will EVER activate the link when she comes and goes.

The Shortcut looks correct. If I remember correctly, that notification shows up the first time only and things are fully automatic in the background after it has been allowed the first time.

2 alternatives to Shortcuts.

1. Use Homebridge with a virtual combo switch/presence sensor. You need to set up an automation in Apple Home using similar logic as for Shortcuts. The benefit is that a switch and automation lives in the Apple Home system while Shortcuts live on an iOS device. The combo presence/switch driver is here:
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ogiewon/Hubitat/master/Drivers/virtual-presence-switch.src/virtual-presence-switch.groovy

2. Use Geofency instead or in addition to native Apple presence
    [RELEASE] Geofency Presence

Hmmm my wife came and went numerous times today and the Shortcut notification came up for her with a run button every single time. So she ran it every time she came or left. I have no idea what to do. I can’t find any sort of setting asking for a permission to run automatically. I guess I’ll need to examine some of the other options perhaps.

I have another screenshot where I expanded one more section. As well under “Shortcuts” in the iPhone settings app and then ”Advanced” I have included my current settings. Do I need to change any of these by chance?

I’m the Settings app, before the screen you showed, there is a Location setting. Mine is at “Allow while using the app”

Looking at Enable or disable a personal automation in Shortcuts on iPhone or iPad - Apple Support it says that you can’t automatically run a arriving/leaving application. However, I clearly do it. It is possible that you need to create the automation from the Home app instead. Once you get to the action part, at the very bottom under “Advanced” choose “Convert to Shortcut” and then create the same two-step automation you created before.

I tried the "Convert to Shortcut" method in Home app. I then went for a drive around the block as a test and it appears to have worked for both my departure and arrival. Thanks for all of your help. I think you've got my automations to a good place.