Most reliable presence detection

So if you’re not moving and you don’t open a door (like when sitting watching TV or sleeping) your house will go into away unless you press a button?

That will get old fast. I would suggest adding a condition that you must also not be present. Use geofencing to flip a switch when you leave and combine that condition with no motion or sensors opened. Use the lack of motion and contact sensor switch as your trigger to check the condition (state of the switch) for no motion and no contact sensor activity + not present, else end rule.

1 Like

Not to mention you have to be gone for a half hour before away mode would start, assuming you open a door and restart the timer when you leave. This would be fine for lights or thermostats, but wouldn't be advisable for locks, HSM or anything else security related. Especially since an intruder would put your home right back into present mode.

I'm also just picturing being in a deep sleep at 3am and Google Home blasting through the house saying push a button because I haven't rolled in 30 minutes time.

I can see this being useful as part of an overall presence plan. Have the activity logic trigger a virtual presence sensor and combine that with other sensors like WiFi and geofencing. Then use thresholds to determine actual present/not present states.

Can someone explain to me how to use Life360 as presence sensor? I have App installed, circle and place set. Log in is OK. Now what?

Hi, are you still using this method? because from what im reading on the link, this sounds like the perfect compromise for accuracy and battery conservation and if it still works, i think this may be the best route for me.

Sorry for the response delay...although I'm not using Hubitat any more, I'm still using a variant of this technique to do presence detection on my current system. Despite being something of a patchwork approach, it works pretty well!

I've changed some things, though. For one, I no longer rely on my wifi connection to determine that I'm home; in my case, it just takes too long. For others, that may not be the case, so it could be worth keeping. Second, I found that the Exit Tasks in Tasker seemed a little flaky (probably just user error, though), so I revamped the logic to do away with them.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hi all

I have now achieved 100% presence using 4 raspis and Brian Wilsons BTLE presence sensors around my property, combined with joewetzels combined presence app it only reports away when all 4 monitors say im away but reports home as soon as any of them report as home. each monitor cost me £20 to build and the tags are £15 each it detects me as present in about a 15-20m range

my door locks are opening flawlessly every time we get home.

i may one day incorporate something like life 360 for earlier warnings via geofence but at the moment i dont have a need for it.

The solution might be a little pricy for some, but to have a happy wife is worth any cost....

1 Like

Thanks, couldnt get it to work for me.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.