More Hue not updating issues

There has been issues with Hue motion sensors getting stuck active since the 2.0.5 update, I suspect there may be something affecting other Hue devices possibly.

Hue motion sensors paired to HE are not related to the Hue bridge integration or hue bulbs paired to HE.
The hue motion sensor issue is an independent issue we have an open issue for.

Oddly, the more I look at it, pretty much any Hue light that isn't part of a motion or other automation and being turned on and off within Hubitat, shows a last activity time of 12/11/2018... Is removing and re-adding the Hue hub and lights really the only way to troubleshoot this?

Are you talking about hue lights paired to HE or to a Hue hub?

Hue lights paired to the Hue bridge, connected to HE

I'm having the same issue. 2 Hue Bridges connected to Hubitat with the built-in integration. The status never updates on any of the bulbs when controlled by another app/bridge other than the Hubitat. Hubitat control of the bulbs works fine, just no status updates... even when you hit "Refresh".

Seems like polling the Hue Bridges isn't working?

2 Likes

I also noticed this morning that my GE dimmer switch in the basement bathroom had been on all night. It's motion controlled from within HE, and I see that HE was updated to show that the light had been turned off, but it was still on. When I walked into the room, I saw HE log that the light turned on, even though it was already on from before.

You have a communication problem with the dimmer switch. Might need a repeater if it's too far. As you say, the logs are showing HE is sending commands and the motion sensor is communicating, but the outlet is not. Second time today I've seen a comment on a GE dimmer or switch that seems to have not functioned when HE sent the command. @kv1 has his 40 feet away

You're clicking the Refresh button, or you mean you're refreshing the web page? If I turn on a group in the Hue app, it does not update the group in HE, that's true. However if I click the Refresh button, within a few seconds it does update to match the status of the Hue app.

For me this in not a big deal. I don't use the Hue app for controlling lights. In fact I do not use an app to control anything in my home on a regular basis. If you use Hubitat Dashboard or SharpTools, then you can control from your phone and it will be in sync with the HE drivers.

When Refresh is working, you can also create a simple rule to do a periodic refresh, but if you have many zones you're trying to do this with, you might slow things down on the hub. Better to use Hubitat Dashboard or SharpTools.

1 Like

The switch is about 10 feet away from the HE hub, and there is another light switch in between, range should not be the problem. I'll have to try resetting the dimmer switch if it happens again, to try ruling that out.

We rarely use the app either, but do use the Hue dimmer switches regularly, especially in the kids rooms where we don't have motion lighting set up. Still results in the bulbs / groups not updating in HE when there is a state change on the Hue side.

Unpair them from Hue and pair them with HE. I've had mine (4 in total) paired for about 2 months now without a single drop off or issue. Really expand what these remotes can do.

Now, if only I could get my 2 Taps paired to HE... :confounded::confounded::confounded:

1 Like

I remember this issue now. I have a Hue dimmer in the bedroom and if I turn the light on, HE will visually update the state 1 minute later. This is being done via the Polling option in the Hue Integration app.

However, I also have a Pico attached to the headboard. I wouldn't want to have to wait a minute every time I turn the light on to be able to turn it off from the Pico, and I don't. If I press the button on the Pico to turn the light off immediately after turning it on with the Hue dimmer, it does turn off, The opposite it true as well. If I turn the light on with the Pico, I can immediately turn it off with the Hue dimmer.

So even though Hue device in the Hubitat UI doesn't visually change state right away, it is in fact staying immediately in sync.

When I say refresh, I am pressing the refresh button associated with that device on the device page. Not the browser refresh button. It will not reflect the correct status of the bulb when that is done.

Yeah, I have no idea what's going on with the refresh. It only updates with the Hue polling. I went over this with @patrick some time after the integration was first introduced. I don't remember how the conversation ended up.

However, it's not affecting anything. If HE turns the group on or off, the Hue app reflects that. It's just the current status in the driver that isn't updated until the Hue Integration polling updates it, but it doesn't effect the ability to control the Hue groups from HE.

Hitting refresh on the individual Hue Hub connected devices doesn't do anything. Try hitting refresh on the Hue Hub Device instead. That will update all Hue devices because it's the hub that gets polled, not the device.

Hi @mike.maxwell

I am setting up a motion aggregation zone for a client with 2 HUE Sensors directly paired to HE. Is this issue you mentioned resolved or still outstanding?

Best
Geoff

^ this...

Thank you.

I live in Singapore - the highest population density in the world. To accommodate so many people psf, buildings are made of reinforced concrete.

I find that there is very little distance allowed between a HUE Sensor and the HE Hub.

For example, I have the HUE Hub 10m away down the corridor. I have 2 sensors in the same bathroom. The one by the door can be refreshed, the one 1.5m further away in the shower cannot.

• Bring the shower sensor closer to the HE Hub and it works fine.
  • Delete the device, remove its battery and hard reset it works fine - from the desk. Replace it on its mount in the shower it cannot reach.

The device is mounted next to a Philips HUE Aphelion DL which is on a separate mesh to the HUE Bridge. Possibly this is adding to the interference.

Question: any repeaters available that will help range for the HUE Sensor?

Well any repeater will help with your devices Hubitat.
I'm not following your setup, you have hue sensors paired to hubitat?, and you have no zigbee repeaters?
If that's the case simply adding a single repeater between the hub and the sensors in question will probably fix it.