Modify GoControl thermostat behavior

Recently I replaced my Nest with a GoControl. The old Nest had a function where it could keep the fan running for a few minutes after a heat/cool cycle in order to circulate the air. It also always stepped down from Stage 2 to Stage 1 before stopping. I'm finding the GoControl likes to come to a halt directly from Stage 2, which is jarring. It's also missing the circulate option after cycles. Has anyone fiddled with the advanced settings to make things a bit smoother?

To answer my own question, the option to do this is under advanced settings. At the bottom: "Heat/cool blower off delay" should be set. I set mine to 9 seconds, which smooths things out quite a bit.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I never knew this Settings Menu existed. I guess I should have read the manual..

1 Like

For the record, all (edit: MOST, not ALL ) of those parameters are exposed in my Enhanced GoControl Thermostat user driver, if you have need to adjust it from Hubitat instead of the local menu.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Botched1/Hubitat/master/Drivers/GoControl%20GC-TBZ48/GoControl%20GC-TBZ48.groovy

EDIT: I probably should have just linked to the post describing the driver:

1 Like

There is an additional page for setting the 2nd stage Delta values as well, although the defaults seem to work well for me. I like this thermostat. What it's missing is ability to modulate fan speed.

@JasonJoel - wow thanks, checking it out now.

Thanks for the driver. It showed me that I had inadvertently disabled my 2nd stage heat and enabled the Aux heat, which may have been part of my issue. (I don't have a heat pump)

1 Like

Assuming the driver is right - double check. As I only have single stage heat/cool that part of the code is lesser tested (although it WAS tested).

Ah nevermind, your driver comes with the factory defaults. Mine was set correctly via the panel, then set again via your driver. Will let you know if there's any weirdness between stages but should work as expected.

1 Like

@JasonJoel I definitely didn't know this improved driver existed. I will have to check it out when I get home. My Ecobee will run the Master Suite HVAC fan for five minutes if it has been idle for an hour. I want to create rule(s) to do similar for the GoControl-controlled HVAC and this might give me more options & details. Thank you.

Hey @JasonJoel, what does fan mode "Circulate" do, and how is it different from "On"?

It doesn't do anything. If you try it, you get this in the log:
"Fan circulate mode not supported for this thermostat type..."

It is one of the fan states that is there by default when you use the zwave thermostatfanmode capability.
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Driver_Capability_List#ThermostatFanMode

Auto and On are the only valid fan modes for this thermostat.

v1.5.1. - I just made a tweak to the code removing fanCirculate from the state variable (in case it is used in dashboards or google home, which it very well might be). I can't get rid of the command button, though, that comes with the capability and is not editable.

1 Like