Model C-5 Resource Leak?

Good idea. I'll try that tonight. It's probably the last thing I can try. Already replaced the network cable, changed switch ports, and removed 100% of user code (drivers ans apps), and soft reset.

I had a C4 or C5 (cant remember - so many hubs :rofl:) go bad and it was most definitely the ps. On closer inspection the plug had a crack in it. HE graciously replaced the whole thing as the unit was no longer responding similar to @srwhite.

Hi there, did you reboot your hub after you ran the Soft Reset, by any chance? Are you able to reach the hub via 8081? What color the LED on the hub do you see, if any?

It reboot when I did the restore after the soft reset.

I'm not in front of it right now, but every other time it locked up the light was green.

Can not reach it on port 8081.

Sorry for the troubles. That sounds like network/Ethernet port/Ethernet cable problem, which hub is this, your "Home Hub"?

Yes it's Home Hub.. This hub has been the one crashing on me for months. It doesn't slow down anymore, just crashes.

EDIT: It is getting an IP assigned and is pingable. It's just not starting up.

Interesting - so the underlying OS boots to that point at least.

Exactly.. This hub has been the most frequent crasher of them all. It doesn't even need to slow down to crash.

I have literally power cycled it a couple dozen times and this last time it's decided to try to boot.

I have about 3 weeks of offline backups for the my server hub which failed, yet I am unable to restore any of them. The restore kind-of appears to succeed but the reboot hangs forever at 30%..

Looks like my server hub is dead without any usable backups.

The Hubitat team is working on it but it's not looking good.

Glad they are working on YOUR issue. :wink:

(That was most a joke - I haven't submitted an official support email/request to them for my hub issue)

Lol. I can get things recovered pretty quickly if I have to start from scratch since it was the server hub. Everything except for my dashboards. Ugh. I have probably 60+ mostly used to occasional at a glance details and viewing blocks of attributes across multiple devices.

That’s not going to be fun to rebuild.

And what are you waiting for? Submit that ticket!

If you were in front of your hub we would be working on yours too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No worries. I can get to it remotely, but I am not indeed physically in front of it. I rebooted it before lunch, so it is at least running again.

Oh snap!!

4 Likes

I haven't heard in these notes, of anyone getting closer to an underlying root cause for slowdowns/lock ups. I haven't noticed anyone mention a hidden resource leak.
Is that correct that no one has found the underlying root cause?

I haven't seen or heard of any progress there either. I reboot my hub every night and minimize the use of Rule Machine and that seems to help- although still not as good as it once was.

I don't know if it's related but the one time I had an extreme hub slow down, I had swapped the micro USB cable for a likely cheap, but longer, micro USB cable and the hub seemed to hate it. Was extremely laggy and triggers weren't firing at all.

I had a slowdown issue on a C5 that I'm guessing was heat related. The hub was sitting on a smooth plastic surface (sonos:connect) and would frequently slowdown and lock up. Simply flipping the hub upside down seemed to work - have not had those kinds of issues since. Of course I have had the slowdowns others have mentioned as well on all of my hubs - less so on my control hub that has zigbee/zwave turned off.

I do not envy the troubleshooting on this as there seems to be so many different things that can impact performance.. it would be nice if a problematic device could somehow be detected by the system (some sort of diagnostic maybe) and an alert created for the user in order to help identify issues.

I tried a new power supply, and tried putting a little fan blowing on it too (just because). Still locked up, so it looks like my hub just is defective. In my case I don't think it has anything to do with the software side of thing / resource leaks.

Thanks @bobbyD for taking a look.

1 Like

Have you never noticed how hot the connect's get on the top? I would not recommend the hub to go on top of it in any orientation.

3 Likes