Mode Manager - Between Certain Times!

Just seen the latest video on Youtube about the Mode Manager. Let me start by saying that it is improved since a year ago; however it is still missing a very important feature.

Mode Manager should have another time option besides activating mode change at (Certain Time). It should have an option (Between Certain times). This way it would check for correct mode based on time frame instead of Certain Time which is useless if you come home and Certain Time has already passed!
This is the reason I am still using WebCore to execute mode change after HSM is Disarmed.
Examples:
Move becomes Back @ 1pm
Mode Manager is set to execute Afternoon mode change at 12pm.
It doesn't activate and waites until the Evening mode is scheduled @ 5:30pm.
If Mode Manager would see that that mode is disarmed and check the time frame, it would activate the correct mode.

Can this feature be added? Would greatly appreciate it!

Do you use Away mode? I assume you do, or you probably wouldn't be asking this question (because then modes would follow your schedule regardless). If you do, it sounds like the "Return from Away" settings that already exist are what you want. You can read more about them in then documentation if the video didn't cover them: Mode Manager - Hubitat Documentation

I use Away. And I don't use Presence sensors as they are unreliable. Instead I arm my house with an Iris security keypad with Code Manager app and have it disarm or arm my HSM.

WebCore lets me check the times between a certain time frame to manage mode change. Why can't Mode Manager have that feature as well?

Rule Machine could (so that's the webCoRE analog), but I think you could still do what you want if you used a virtual presence sensor. What you could do is manipulate its presence state based on your keypad and whatnot, then select that sensor in Mode Manager as your presence sensor for away mode.

Thanks for brainstorming @bertabcd1234,

Not really. I looked in Rule Machine just the other night and did find Certain Time option exposed for a trigger, but could not find Between Certain Time options. Even with different wording. I Virtual Switches for IFTTT integration. Presence sensors are only useful for seeing if my car ever leaves my driveway with out me or my wife.

That's because that's not how Rule Machine works. :slight_smile: Triggers are momentary events, things that cause your Actions sections to run. A certain time can be a trigger; a time range is a condition, not an event, and cannot be a trigger. You can use a certain time (or multiple times) as a trigger, then use conditionals (IFs) in your actions to check the ranges. But I don't even think that is what you'd want (unless you want RM to do all the work with modes)--it sounds like you'd want a lock code as the trigger, then time-based conditionals in the actions.

However, I'd still suggest a virtual presence sensor with Mode Manager, since Mode Manager can already do this for you.

2 Likes

I think I know what you are trying to do here and I do all of that in RM pretty easily. I have a "ARRIVAL" rule that basically says if any of my presence sensors arrive (that's the trigger to switch from AWAY to whatever mode I want. You could trigger based on keypad entry) then I run through a set of if's based on Time of day to determine what mode to set. Then set that mode. Unless you have 20 modes, this is a pretty easy workaround for my at home modes which are "morning, day, evening, night".

This also give me some different flexibility. I don't ever return from being away and go into "morning" mode. For me, morning mode is wake up time. If I'm just arriving at 6am...chances are we're awake. So I go straight to Day mode during my normal morning mode times. (I know everyone uses modes differently)

Thanks but not going to mess with that. And all Hubitat have to do is expose a conditional option trigger to execute Between Certain Times. I am a power user and can have work a round with Webcore. To the average user this is not a solution. Most of us on Hubitat are here from the beginning. And come from SmartThings platform which had this option almost from the Kickstarter days. I am one of the original backares.

In my honest opinion, Hubitat should have this feature as well.

FYI, I just got a response on my Youtube post from Hubitat, I will try it tonight.

What they suggested is exactly what I said above. The issue is still that you need something to "trigger" the Mode Manager app into knowing you're home. A keypad/lock code cannot do that; the only options are for presence sensors. [EDIT: Apparently you can use switches too; I've never done that. Either way, you need something, and a keypad alone is not one of those things.] Creating a virtual presence sensor and a small rule that changes it to "present" or "not present" when you arm/disarm wouldn't be too much work (I can help with the rule if you want) and would do exactly what you want.

This is the docs as well, but here's a screenshot of your options:

3 Likes

In that case, I am back to my point. I need a Between Certain Times option. And it would be nice if the gave an option to use a keypad.

I don't want to mess with Rules on top of Rule. I have Pistones in WebCore which run cleanly all the time for me.

But thank you for the offer.

I am not here to argue with anyone. Thank you @bertabcd1234 for trying to help. I am just reaching out to Hubitat support to request a feature.

This already exists and is what we are talking about above.

Sure, but you can wait for them to maybe implement this, or you can use an easy workaround that already works now. :slight_smile:

It's one rule (and if you're using webCoRE on Hubitat, not that I'd advise this, you could do that there instead too). You can make it two one-line rules if you want. :slight_smile: I'll repeat my offer to help.

EDIT: I think you'd actually need two tiny rules since you'd probably set the sensor to away based on your mode changing to away (there's no "arm button pressed on keypad"-type thing). Here's one half of that rule:

the other would be equally simple. :slight_smile:

I have a Nested If piston running to check all mode changes between time frames as soon as my house is disarmed and placed in Back mode. Very clean.

@bertabcd1234,

I am not going to do that and most of the users will not do that as well. Especially beginners. We need to make it easier for them and not just you and I who have our work a round preferences.

I think most beginners would use a presence sensor in the first place, as that works well for most people (though I confess mobile presence is tricky for some devices...) and the options are already built-in. :slight_smile: I'm not saying the additional feature wouldn't be neat, just that you shouldn't hold your breath waiting, and there are easy things you can already do that would make it work as-is.

I do use mobile presence and I'm still using this "workaround" because I sometimes like to set the presence state manually instead of relying on my phone, and this gives me the flexibility to do that still.

You could also move all of your mode logic to Rule Machine and forget about the virtual presence sensor, in case part of your resistance is not wanting to spread this out across two apps. You'd just need a trigger for each of the times you want mode to change, plus whatever triggers for away (HSM armed?) and present (lock code entered?). Your Actions could just then be a few IF THENs that check for your desired time ranges and set the mode accordingly. Sounds like what you're already doing in webCoRE, which is also certainly not for beginners.

You can also trigger "Return from Away" by a switch turning on. So, in Rule Machine, whenever HSM is disarmed, you can turn on that virtual switch.

It will then use the correct mode based on what time of day it is.

No thanks.

I just want a feature included in the next update of the Mode Manager.

Duly noted.

Maybe it will happen. Although since there are very easy workarounds, I'm not sure it will make the to-do list any time soon.

But who knows?

2 Likes

Thank you @JasonJoel. Hope is always appreciated. :wink:

1 Like

You can easily do exactly that in RM in 1 rule and eliminate all this other stuff....

1 Like