Mobile App's Google Dependance (Android)

Those apps are just dashboards. If you want push you need to use either pushover or the hubitat app but I know you don't want to do that. Twilo might work for you

Here's the solution for using a Telegram Bot with Hubitat: [RELEASE] Telegram Bot API (notifications)

..and an open source Telegram client for Android that I use to receive Telegram notifications: Telegram-FOSS/Notifications.md at master ยท Telegram-FOSS-Team/Telegram-FOSS ยท GitHub

If the main issue is notifications, you might want to look into Gotify. It's a locally hosted notification server with an Android app. I run it in Docker on a raspberry pi.

I would expect the Gotify app can probably run without Google play services since the whole purpose of the project seems to be not having to rely on cloud services, but you'd have to confirm that.

Once the server is up you can either send notifications by sending a http post from a rule manager action, or it should be fairly simple to write a notification device driver for Hubitat that talks to the server.

You need to use port forwarding, reverse proxy, or VPN to be able to connect back to your LAN to get notifications when away from home.

1 Like

FYI I recently updated my phone (prior one was getting old and tired). I switched from CalyxOS and microG services to grapheneOS with sandboxed google GMS services. For those unfamiliar, the grapheneos option seeks to improve privacy and application functionality by "sandboxing" each application as well as the google services that may be used to support it. You can also control if an app has network function or not. It's not 100% private - an app using GMS is still sharing data with google if network function is enabled but only for that app and through an anonymous google acct and VPN network. Having said that -- google is still very good at using other attributes of the service to potentially figure out more about who you are and what you do.

I digress.... Using the grapheneOS and hubitat app running on sandboxed GMS, the app and notifications seem to work properly.

3 Likes

That does sound like a more "complete" solution. Yes, I will do some research on that, thank you!
It is a lot more involved than I had hoped, but at least it is an option.

For someone looking to run the app on a Kindle, this probably wouldn't be reasonable. But for a power user willing to invest the time, definitely possible.

Valid point. If you don't mind sandboxed proprietary Google code running on your device, this is a functional option. It contains the "damage" at least, although you're right, they are quire good at identifying individuals, so I'm not certain how effective that is. Still, it's far better than vanilla, and perhaps a good compromise.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.