Mixing smart lights

Thanks so much for all that info! Really appreciate it.

And yeah I see your points, but good thing is I don't think will affect us as the lights will all be same brand in the rooms and we really don't have that many gusts over, and when we do they are not running around turning our lights on and off :slight_smile:

So would the Hue switch work via HE the other lights as well? As Lifx does not really make a wifi switch like Hue does and it's just something might look at down the road.

The best part of Hubitat is that it brings everything together.

I use my Hue bridge with Hue lights (and a few GE, Osram, Cree, and Ecosmart), combined with GE and Leviton Z-Wave devices, and Lutron Dimmers. To top it off I control them all with Lutron Pico Remotes. I occasionally run into scenarios where the Dim levels don't match but that's ok as rule machine allows you to set some devices at one level, and other dimmers at another level to give you the perfectly balanced scene. I haven't had success with the Hue dimmer but I believe others have. The Tap isn't compatible. If you're looking for a great control solution I would highly recommend Lutron Pico's, although that does require a Lutron Pro Bridge. But you could deploy that control solution across your whole house for a uniform look.

1 Like

Yeah that could be an option too as I have just started looking at getting Lutron shades installed. Do you have them or just the dimmers?

I currently just have the dimmers and remotes. Unfortunately the shades are harder to come by in Canada and usually come with a big price tag.

Yeah I am expecting them to be quite expensive here in Aus as well, but will wait to see what the quote is. Thanks for the help though :slight_smile:

To get the Hue Dimmer to work with the other brands of lights, you'll need to either have those lights (and the Dimmer) connected to the Hue bridge and set up the Dimmer there, or you'll need to have the Dimmer on Hubitat and configure the Dimmer there (and have the bulbs on Hubitat somehow, either paired directly or via the Hue bridge). So yes, there are ways to make it work.

You can really use any device to do this, however; the Dimmer is nice because it looks kind of like a "regular" light switch, but it won't mount in a standard wall plate. A Lutron Pico remote can also be used in a similar fashion, but it requires the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro to work wiht Hubitat. However, they mount in standard decorator and are pretty cheap once you have the Bridge. Finally, there are a variety of "buttons" that work with Hubitat that you can also use (the Hank ZigBee 4-button controller is one I considered before I went with Picos--doesn't look like a switch, but it's cheap). You can see a list of natively supported buttons here, though there are more community-developed drivers for things like Xiaomi: Hubitat Elevation supported button controller capabilities matrix

EDIT: The Eria Dimmer Remote is similar, can be paired to Hubitat (and possibly Hue but not configurable via the app, from what I've read), and fits in a standard decorator plate.

Definitely recommend getting a Hue Bridge and using the Hue Integration vs direct. That way you have access to the Hue Groups and you don't have to worry about whether or not a Hue device is compatible with Hubitat yet or not. Plus you can then use the tap too if you like. Also, don't forget the the less expensive Ikea Trådfri bulbs are compatible with both the Hue Bridge and Hubitat.

Your call on the Lutron SmartBridge Pro and Pico. I don't know availability in Australia of that product and you use the square type light switches like Europe don't you? Lutron does offer European style wall plates, but Lutron may be ridiculously expensive for you. Having said that, Pico is a nice looking and much better designed control than the Hue dimmer.

These Zigbee controllers are an interesting option for those with square switch plates. They are compatible with Hue, but not Hubitat. Maybe contact them. If they can interface with SmartThings (although I don't see that on their site), then you could likely modify the groovy code to work on Hubitat as well. Another option is you buy one, send it to @mike.maxwell and hopefully he could find the time to integrate it at some point. These are Zigbee LL so they likely interface direct with bulbs, but you need a driver on the hub, otherwise pairing them with a bulb will "steal" them away from the hub. Similar issue with Trådfri remotes. No driver, but you can pair them as "Device" with the hub so that the bulb and the hub can independently control the bulbs (paired directly with the hub), without stealing the pairing from each other.

1 Like

So would the Pico remote work for Lifx, Seglend and Hue bulbs? I have seen many threads about it working with the Hue but unsure about the others.

And just to make sure looking at the correct switch, would this be the one? Amazon.com

If you have the Lutron Bridge integrated with Hubitat, your Picos become a standard button device that can control any light/bulb that is also integrated with Hubitat. I use it to control all my various types of lights, my fans, my Sonos speakers. It can control pretty much anything tied to your hub.

That's the remote I use ...but any Caseta Pico would work as well....I think... @mike.maxwell can confirm

As long as it is a pico remote it will work. I have 2, 4, & 5 button remotes in use.

Sounds like the way to go then!

So I will prob get that Pico remote (once mike confirms)
This this as the bridge
Then these to mount them on the wall - cover and bracket

And should add, there wouldn't be any problems with this working in Aus?

Unfortunately that looks like the standard bridge. You need to Pro bridge to integrate with Hubitat.

I have no clue.

You need BDGPRO2-XX

Lutron Caseta L-BDGPRO2-WH - SmartBridge Pro Programmed Via Lutron App, White Lutron Caseta L-BDGPRO2-WH - SmartBridge Pro Programmed Via Lutron App, White: Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

This one Amazon.com ?

1 Like

Yep...that's the one. You can usually get it bundled with a switch for the same or better price....but I'm not sure of your shopping options in Australia.

Yeah I will prob have to get it mailed to a US address and forwarded on to me. Thanks for thelp guys! Hopefully my HE gets here soon... been about 3 weeks now and can get get right into this.

1 Like

This is the best price I have found in the US. Not sure if they ship internationally.

https://www.energyavenue.com/Lutron/L-BDGPRO2-WH

3 Likes

Oh that site is perfect, it has all the gear needed and ships to Aus with over $100 spend. Thanks mate :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have ordered from them a few times this year with no issues. Everything came packaged well and as advertised.