Mitsubishi split using Airzone - Solved

Got it, Thanks. Had to leave the house so won't be able to get back at it today. Thanks again for the assistance. I'm sure I'll have a few other questions.

1 Like

Was able to spend some more time last night & this morning. The controls are all now working from the device page. They are not, however, working from the tile on a dashboard. Still using the Generic Z-Wave Plus Thermostat driver and the Thermostat tile template. Is there a methodical way to trouble shoot this or is it more a case of trial and error with different drivers?

You are certainly taking the right approach to determine this. If you look through many similar scenarios posted here, issues with interaction in a dashboard is often quickly followed by confirming the response from the Device Detail page.

That's all you wanted...? :wink: Just kidding.....

In terms of your actual issue.... It may be a situation where there is either a loss in communication between the dashboard and the hub, or there could be a set of commands or options not supported by those rendered in the dashboard.... At a guess....

Like many troubleshooting efforts around here.... My suggestion is always plenty of screenshots, including logs. These may include logs for the device as well as any automations or, in this case, the dashboard. Details about the actions being attempted are also useful.

Basically, more info, then, we may ask for more info, eventually arriving at enough to diagnose.

If they are working from the device page, they should work from a Tile.

Can I suggest deleting your existing HVAC Dashboard, and creating a new one.

He's using a built-in driver. AFAIK, there are no commands in built-in drivers that aren't supported in Tiles.

That's a good point, and likely nullifies that being an issue. I was probably not thinking so much about "commands" themselves not being supported, but more so commands from the point of view of thermostat modes. There have been issues in the past where modes for thermostats are not part of the supported list, which drivers, like my Mitz one are able to dictate through a call to update the list for the device. Things like Dry mode, etc.

Now that I say that, the success from the Device page probably quashes that being the likely cause, as long as the same mode change is being attempted.... Details are always useful to dictate the direction of troubleshooting....

1 Like

Well @wilsonworx did indicate that:

So I think there's something wrong with their Dashboard. This device has been re-paired at least once, and I suspect the dashboard tile points to a prior device-id. Hence, the recommendation to delete their HVAC dashboard (or Tile), and create a new one.

My theory was more around the built-in options from the pop-up for mode selection in the dashboard not matching what the split-system could accommodate, but again, that would likely be an issue on the device page... So I will suggest to put that idea on the backburner for now and I will only claim superiority if it turns out to be the root cause.... :grin:

In this case, it only has to match the commands offered by the built-in z-wave driver.

1 Like

Thanks all again for the guidance. I did try replacing the tile, but haven't tried doing an entirely new dashboard. I'll give that a shot when I'm back tonight, then it sounds like trial an error on other drivers. It is still connecting via the side yard switch, It's close enough to the controller that I would think it shouldn't need to do that. Is it worthwhile attempting to change that? If so what's the best procedure? Thx

If you have control working via the Device Detail page, then I wouldn't change the driver for your split system device. I would focus on why the dashboard is not able to control the device, also looking at whether other devices suffer a similar issue, i.e. whether there is some kind of connectivity issue from the mobile / PC you are using to display the dashboard or whether it is something else.

1 Like

No.

Also, as Simon said, focus on why the Dashboard isn’t working. This is not a driver or device issue.

Quick update: After changing the dashboard I seem to be in business. So ultimately the solve was to get the right driver (Generic Z-Wave Plus Thermostat), then control everything by the device page, then build another dashboard. Even then different parts of the control came on at different times. The temperature worked right away, an hour or so later the Mode came on, Then the set point, finally the fan setting which took about 24 hours before it worked.

I'd feel better if I understood why these things came on over time (was it the device, the driver or something native to Hubitat), but at this point I'm happy that it seems to be working as needed. I feel like I've matured my Habitat knowledge and will be using that to do some more complex configurations in future.

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

3 Likes

They appeared in the sequence that device sent updates.