Missing instructions for "Shift Controller" Zwave function

Also another proprietary Wink thing for the most part. Lutron basically won't even acknowledge they every made these. The implementation of these in Wink was OK, but the Pico implementation in Hubitat is vastly better.

I was a Wink user for a long time. Many of us here were. When things started to go bad in 2019, I had enough and moved to Hubitat. Things have only got worse for Wink in the time since then. Outages, failure to pay employees, failure to pay bills, dropping Chamberlain and other integrations, fees on a "free for life" hub, and on and on. They have done no development to that hub since 2017.

They are spiraling the toilet, and there is no way they will survive this. This latest incident should be a wake-up call to all Wink users. Get out now while you have time to plan the transition. I don't care if you move to Hubitat, but staying with Wink is a losing venture.

At some point you will have to suck it up and move to something other than Wink. So if buying a Lutron hub breaks the bank, better save those pennies otherwise you won't have Lutron at all. Same for the other devices too, once Wink is gone, they no longer work anyway. So no big loss if they don't work with Hubitat, they will become waste in probably less than 6 months from now, but probably closer to 90 days given Wink's track record.

See these instructions:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Z-Wave_Manual#Z-Wave_Plus_S2_Learn_Mode_-_Receive_network_information_from_another_Z-Wave_Plus_S2_compatible_controller

Whether this will work or not I cannot say, as we have not tested it for this purpose. After following the indicated steps, one would put the hub into Z-Wave discovery, and in theory it would find the transferred devices. These would be missing associations, and may not have proper names. Some may not fingerprint correctly, and would not have drivers. It may not work at all. It can only be done on a hub with no Z-Wave devices joined to it.

FWIW, I use zigbee2mqtt to bring one of these these into Hubitat. Works great to control my nightstand lamp.

Which kind of illustrates Hubitat’s strengths. There are tools which let you integrate anything, even if it isn’t directly supported. As long as the other side is similarly open.

1 Like

I have the Kidde smoke detectors integrated into Habitat. I'm using a Ring "listener" device. Since the detectors are all interconnected you only need one. There are other brands of listeners as well.

2 Likes

Yup. The Ecolink Fire Fighter is popular as well for this purpose.

1 Like

Wayne:

Deal.

I will keep the Hubitat 'C7' box, since I already have it, but who knows how long it will take me to re-code the dozens of ZWave switches. I think I will make a mobile 'crash cart' so I can be physically in front of the switches as I re-map them to the new hub. I have 3 floors of a large house to tour.

If this Hubitat experience is as great as everyone says (and with so many hardware revisions so far, it probably is) then I'll probably be on here helping everyone else after me get their soon-to-be -obsolete competitive systems cut-over. But, I'll also not 'pipe down' ... because I'm making a large investment in time and cash. The Hubitat ecosystem gets better precisely BECAUSE people want it to. I'll be on that team, once I slice open the tape on this box.

This "omitting the ZWave controller-shift feature" does leave a buzzing bee in my bonnet, though. Somebody at Hubitat apparently decided that it's too dangerous a standard ZWave feature to let the users have, if I may be so bold to phrase the situation in that blunt language, and this decision is going to cost ME many weekend hours I'd rather spend doing something else. That's not me with an attitude, that's me complaining about the car coming standard with variable speed wipers but somebody in the plant leaving the control knob off.

That is a choice you make when moving to a new hub.... Look around, many other hubs don't support that either...

Would be great if they did, but almost none do.. And some that "do support it" don't actually work. Trust me, I've tested it. lol

I understand the frustration/annoyance. I get it - not disputing that.

2 Likes

From my experience and understanding the controller shift functions are meant to add a secondary controller to an existing Z-wave mesh, not to move the mesh to an entirely different type of controller. This would be near impossible as none of the systems work the same. The only thing in common is the zwave device addresses. How the controllers work with them, define them within their systems, etc. will be completely different.

The shift/learn functions were a way to add old-style zwave remote controls to the system to allow for basic on-off functionality. But again only as secondary controllers to an existing system. No way could this work to migrate a mesh from one type of controller and OS to another.

2 Likes

Major changes are happening in the spec with the coming addition of Long-Range.. Learn mode is completely optional in the upcoming certification changes as this makes no sense in Long-Range’s star topology.

1 Like

Wink and Vera both had the learn/shift controller functions built in but it was to move from one of their own hubs to another. I know this because I've done it with both moving from the Wink 1 to V2 Hub, and also from older Vera controllers to newer ones.

It never seemed to matter how they improved their controllers though. I switched to Habitat over two years ago because none of the previous brands would control as many of my zwave and zigbee devices as HE does. And no other controller (SmartThings included) has as much flexibility to incorporate "outside" devices as Hubitat. But maybe the biggest selling feature is this community. The amount of support and resources literally at the user's fingertips is amazing.

4 Likes

My Wyze cameras do the 'listening to the alarm go off' thing, too.

Thanks, but: A Zigbee microphone is not what I am looking for. The Kidde unit sends the alert status directly via RF to the monitoring point. That 'directness' is the value-proposition. Adding a separate system to promote 'integration' isn't integration, to me; it's a patch. When it comes to a fire alarm, this distinction matters. I hope I can find something that goes 'direct' to the Hubitat. From what I can gather, the Hubitat hub has a Zigbee and a ZWave radio in it. If that's true, then I can either find a smoke alarm with one of those in it, or, retrofit the Kidde units.

I use the First Alert z-combo smoke/co detectors

3 Likes

Yeah - but they don’t do diddly squat to trigger actions in your home based on the smoke/fire alarm going off.

1 Like

aaiyar: Correct. The alerts are for me, when I'm not here. If I am here, I hear the smoke detectors aurally and don't need the automation system.

Bingo! Thaanks! But, there's the $150 .... :wink:

Long before Hubitat, at the beginning of my sojourn with SmartThings, I had 4 ZWave controllers sharing a single Mesh. Staples Connect, Wink 1, Open Remote, and SmartThings. I started with Staples Connect and thus it was the primary. I added OpenRemote as a secondary controller and this is where I learned all about ZWave's twist on the word 'secondary'. I could control any actuator device with ease, it was the Sensors that were grief. With care in determining which controller initiated the Join, I could 'assign a hub' to handle specific portions of my total system. Then I added Wink 1 because Staples Connect closed down. I never truly used Wink, it seemed too 'spoon fed' for my needs plus it didn't tie Lutron Picos in as 'just buttons' like Staples Connect did.

I never wanted to use SmartThings because of the cloud but there were devices that only it could control and I merged it in to the single mesh. Eventually it worked well enough that I wasn't using Staples Connect for anything but my Lutron Pico's.

This was the moment when I decided to do a Controller Shift. Staples Connect offered it, just as Wink does. So of course I did it. :slight_smile: Worked for me. SmartThings became the Primary and stayed that way til I found Hubitat. I added Hubitat as a secondary controller. I then pissed and moaned about having to buy a Lutron SmartBridge Pro but once I got over that, impressed too.. I thought Staples Connect was great in just offering generic buttons, but Hubitat's Lutron Integration is even better. So that allowed Staples Connect to be shut. As well as the Open Remote instances. (Wink is probably still a secondary controller for that mesh, but it's been in a box for years :slight_smile: )

Long, long message but my point is, Controller Shift worked 5 years ago on unattractive products: Staples Connect. And on products that never offered the feature: SmartThings. Don't they still claim they can't do secondary?

After a month of owning a Hubitat Hub back in 2018, I got Support to give me the magic method to 'factory reset' my C-3. I thought about doing yet another Controller Shift, but decided that Hubitat was going to be my only hub, everything else was getting shut down. I chose to start over, and exclude/include my 65 ZWave devices.

I 100% believe @bravenel and so I am happy to have some of my weekend back, since I won't need to try a Controller Shift. :smiley:

1 Like

That is what I thought it was for too. Not for transferring to a "foreign" hub.

csteele:

I'm not going to try the 'controller shift' either. Multiple knowledgeable and authoritative people have universally shot that idea/concept/feature down, rather effectively.

That is, until there is a 'C8' hub and I will need to do a 'controller shift' I guess.

On an aside, the Lutron Pro hub is basically a $150 receiver with a web configuration page and a telnet port. Neat-o little white box with a snazzy LED light. It might work well for home automation but between the rudimentary function-for-the-buck and having to ditch my pile of Connected Bulb remotes, 'impressive' isn't the adjective I thought of first :wink: This is no indictment of Hubitat, as Lutron sets its own policies, prices, etc.

I am VERY slowly and methodically making the Wink 2 migration.

Slowly, because I have at least seven completely different types of ZWave devices and each one is different in how it gets into its 'service' mode. I already cut-in the Hue hub, a little Zigbee switch I have that otherwise doesn't get used, and a spare ZWave motion sensor.

Methodically, because I'd like to not disable too much 'live' system functionality as I make the conversion. My wife would have a fit if I suddenly 'shut off' some of the things that the house does for us in the background.

Off to find some mobile-app skins that she can use better than the stock offering. Getting her to quit the Wink UI will be another challenge. The adventure begins.

geeze.. put those up on Ebay.. you can pay for your Lutron Pro and a fistful of Pico's

2 Likes