Minoston?

Zooz, Minoston, and Eva share a manufacturer. They may not be exact identical firmware or packaging, but are similar enough that one driver can control all of them.

4 Likes

Wondering why Hubitat calls it Zooz after I select Minoston MP21Z in the selection menu?
Maybe it the device uses the same deviceid and Hubitat pulls that and picks the driver based on that? If so, why does it ask us to select the device type before inclusion if it is going to ignore that?

Yes.

The menu driven system is for people who are need instructions how to do the pairing. The driver it picks is a best match to the attributes found upon pairing. You could be pairing a GE light switch, and it best matches Generic Smart Switch. The device and the driver don't necessarily exactly match names 1:1.

In reality, most advanced users just skip right to Z-wave, and skip all the menus. Then it doesn't make any difference what the name of the device and the name on the driver is, and it is quicker.

3 Likes

Just for future reference I had to use the Zooz Double Plug driver to get the Minoston Z-wave Outdoor Dual Outlets (Model MP24Z) to detect both outlets. After using this driver both child devices (outlets) were discovered and could be used separately.

Great job Hubitat!

Minoston has drivers for HE posted on their webpage, including for the MP24Z: Firmware/Drive | Minoston |

5 Likes

I never even knew that existed, thanks!

I changed the parent device to this Minoston MP24Z drive and the child devices stayed the same (generic component metering switch).

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

Yes

1 Like

Got around to testing this today and the Minoston MP24Z driver doesn't seem to work, I tried a child refresh and component refresh and still couldn't get the device to trigger the plug.

Went back to the generic Zooz double plug driver and everything working as it should.

Did you click "Configure" after changing drivers?

I just tried that and it would detect if it was already on or off but when I tried to actually turn it on or off it would never actually work.

Going back to the zooz driver works.

1 Like

Just be careful with any parameters presented on the Zooz driver, the Minoston device could haver totally different settings mapped to the same parameter numbers.

2 Likes

The MP21ZD driver exposes a few parameters, which might save someone some hassle adjusting them with the basic Z-wave tool.

Spec sheet shows temperature settings, but not sure how to access. I noticed new firmware (Sep/2022) posted but did not observe any obvious behavior change. It still does not seem to like the "set level over duration" command, even directly from their own driver.

I just checked the driver, it does looks like the duration is implemented correctly. In fact the drivers are similar to mine, as they both have forked from the same author "krlaframboise". Possibly a bug with the device firmware or they just chose not to implement that in the firmware.

1 Like

After installing my Minoston MP31ZD, Hubitat offered me only a generic Minoston Mini Plug Dimmer. That seems to work fine.

The Minoston website does not seem to have a specific driver for the MP31ZD, although it lists many other model numbers.

Does the Hubitat "Minoston Mini Plug Dimmer" driver cover both the MP21ZD and the MP31ZD?
Does anyone actually know what the difference between these two plugs is, other than size?

As a result of this thread I see that one of the options is to set the temperature reporting interval. Looks like if you do not set any intervals it does not report anything; but even once I set the intervals, it is not reporting anything. Oh well, I bought if for the three prong dimmer and that is working well; the temp reporting would only be an interesting data point...

They appear to use the same firmware, so it stands to reason that the same driver would work.

Minoston is sloppy with details, so it is impossible to do anything other than guess differences. My best guess is that MP21ZD is 500-series and MP31ZD is 700-series. They seem to be really bad at copy-and-paste:

• Newest MP21ZD manual is labeled "MP31ZD".
  • Previous MP21ZD manual showed temperature settings that don't seem to exist.
  • MP21ZD webpage shows "15A" in one image, yet rated for <200W.
  • MP31ZD webpage shows 1200W in Technical Details and mentions "up to 15A", yet <200W elsewhere.

Agree, they are sloppy with the details.

I selected the MP31ZD instead of the MP21ZD because I figured a higher model number might mean a newer model, so maybe a newer protocol. Happy to hear that is also your logic! Of course it could also have something to do with the size and the smaller one (MP21ZD) is the newer one. Who knows.

I can report that when I set the temp reporting interval for the MP31ZD:
a. It never reported any temps, during a period in which, based on the setting, it should have reported the temp about 6 times.
b. During the time a temp reporting interval was selected, the MP31ZD failed to execute automations.
ETA: So I revised the interval reporting back to "No Selection" and the automations resumed, so I thought I solved it. However when I look back at the device details, it is still has a selection for reporting temp. I learned that once you select a reporting interval and save it, and then go back later to put it back to "No Selection" it automatically defaults to 1 minute and will not save the "No Selection" option.
However

• actively selecting an interval, even 1 minute, causes no automations.
  • selecting "No Selections" and saving results in the screen refreshing and the 1 minute interval displaying, but the automations work.

Is this a bug in the Minoston software or with Hubitat?

Iā€™m a newbie to Hubitat and am migrating my devices from SmartThings. Iā€™m having the same issue described here with my MP21ZD indoor dimmer plugs. When imported into Alexa, it lists them as temperature sensors, so Iā€™m unable to add them to routines or light groups. They worked fine via SmartThings/Alexa.

Hereā€™s my question and forgive my ignorance (again, Iā€™m a newbie): how do I change the deviceā€™s driver? Do I do that via the Hubitat app?

See these docs: How to Install Custom Drivers | Hubitat Documentation

Once the code is installed you just go to your device and use the "Type" dropdown to change it. It is shown in that doc at the bottom. Ignore the part about creating a virtual device that would not be needed for a z-wave or zigbee device since those get created when you pair them.