Minimum Load under cabinet Switches - Switch to LED

I had some non-LED bulbs (under cabinet fixtures) where we finally found LED replacements. Found out that the legacy (non-smart) dimmer switches won't power these new LED's since the load is too low.

opportunity knocks for high WAF TaDa - Time to switch the switches to smart switches. Should a switchover to my normal smart switch vendor use of Inovelli/Zooz work with these? Do I need to consider if the undermounts have a transformer, these also won't work?

I've been avoiding replacing the under cabinet lights since they installed the wiring behind the drywall, and wanted to avoid a major project. The non-LED have been bugging me for a few years though.

Not sure how any dimmer ever worked if there is a transformer? Wouldn't "dimming" the 110v mess with the transformer no matter what bulbs are in the fixture?
Are you replacing the fixtures or just the bulbs?

Also, yes, the Zooz (and I assume Inovelli) switches do not usually play nice with voltage transformers.

There are dimmable transformers. I have some in my house.

1 Like

I have a dimmable transformer for under cabinet LED lights. If my transformer were not dimmable, I would not be able to dim the lights. But even with the dimmable transformer, I can't dim the lights (with a switch). The entire thing makes my head hurt.
Zooz and Inovelli have both told me their switches are not compatible.

However, over on this thread, Sebastien gave a solution. I have not yet implemented it...but plan on doing so once I completely get my head around it - I don't like doing things before I fully understand them.

I played with a dimmable transformer for some cabinet lights that I also trigger off a motion at night as a nightlight in our living room. The low level dimming is not great and I did what @Sebastien recommended and switched to a zen31.

In my kitchen I swapped the halogen 120v picks for 120v led pucks from Home Depot. Illum or something like that. A company from montreal. They have low voltage ones that operate off a transformer but also sell 120v versions. My wife dislikes led strips in the kitchen so I had to stay with the puck style.

1 Like

They were dimmable in the past, prior to LED and on a dumb dimming slide switch.

That said, the glass cover for one of the fixtures was broken during the retrofit process. I may need to rethink retrofit of the fixtures.

I’ve seen led strips used, are those best for smart switch/light and functional adjustment?