Mini UPS users weigh in please

in 2.5 years we've had 3. The most recent a few nights ago. Messed up my mesh. Still fixing things. UGH!

The 12V output is nice because you can put a router or modem on it (most of them are 12V but check yours before connecting just to be sure :exploding_head:).

I have 2 C4 hubs, so would just need to find the right usb to barrel connectors.

Here you go. I got a c4 and use this on my ups.

TENINYU USB 2.0 A Male to DC 5.5x2.1mm 5 Volt DC Connector Charge Barrel Jack Power Cable Black, 3FT (Max 2.5 Ampere Power Cable, Center PIN Positive) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N7RL57X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_uEnfixNvyCyuj

1 Like

Ordered them up
Thanks @gavincampbell & @marktheknife

2 Likes

Have you seen my "hacky" solution, works great and very cost effective

OH I LOVE "hacky solutions". I will definitely read!

I’ve had no issues with the model I got..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7Z9Z1N/

1 Like

I'm going to hang on to this. I did purchase the first one, but I'm thinking that there will be a good use for this one as well.

Basically any power bank should work, just need to get the cable to connect to your hub. Plug the power bank input into the wall and plug the HE into the power bank output

1 Like

Soo ... I know that there was a post out there about a safe shutdown during a power outage. how are you all handling this? Also, most of my devices default to on. Which sucks in the middle of the night. Any good advise on how to revert everything back to off? I'd take any advise I can get. I'm mostly using node red for most of my rules and am running a pi, so .. yah.
:grin:

Well not really. Many(most?) power banks will not deliver power when being charged. So as soon as the power is applied to charge, the output shuts down.

More expensive for the extra circuitry to allow power when charging

3 Likes

All of my switches (inovelli) are set to stay off when power is restored. It’s an option in the driver settings. I can’t say If it’s in the built in driver but it’s in their custom driver.

So if power cuts out at night it will either return to previous state or stay off.

As for my ups. I have my hub on its own battery pack. It charges and powers at the same time. And when it loses power it does not temporarily cut power when it switches over. I’ve used it multiple times to move my hub around without having to power it down and it’s powered by hub for at least 4 hours and only one light went off. I’ve never seen it run out of power.

Just in case this is what I bought.

TalentCell Rechargeable 12V 6000mAh/5V 12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack for LED Strip and CCTV Camera, Portable Li-ion Battery Bank with Charger, Black (Multi-led Indicator) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00ME3ZH7C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6MY0EbG34FW6J

Also. If it eventually runs out and the hub loses power. I have enough backups of the database to protect me from a database corruption.

1 Like

cool .. I have ge switches, so not an option. And bulbs. And i was thinking about others that used a safe shutdown command on their hubs.

Which GE switches do you have? There may be parameters that are not exposed via the built in drivers. You can usually see that in the documentation for them.

ge/jasco switches and dimmers. some of them are zwave. Yah ... old

Ya. Was checking the zwave alliance site. Their documentation sucks. Only lists parameters for the light and paddle direction. Ah well. Was worth a look.

Yah ... Time to start upgrading my devices, I think. I know there was a command I think for a safe shut down. I just need to dig and bounce it off of those I trust. Unless it came from someone I trust.
:grin:

I’ve NO safe shut down method because it didn’t seem necessary seeing as the battery pack keeps my hub running for over 12 hours.
I’m yet to experience a power cut ( I just jinxed myself there, didn’t I) so have not had to clean up the sensor & mesh issues that’d result from losing the repeaters etc.

1 Like

I think it’s all here

1 Like