Mini UPS for HE

Guys need a bit of an advice.
Considering getting a mini ups for HE.
Not sure which one to get any recommendations for an EU user?

I know that konnected.io has one but is us only and they don't ship internationally.

Is your router on a UPS too?

Not yet. But will be.
The Fiber Modem, the Orbi main Router, are 12v so I can get a regular ups from my electronic store. But HE I believe is 5v. Couldn't find one. The only option was a plug stripe ups for 4 plugs and a 12v, a 9v and a 5v output but that was over kill @130€

So you use a UPS with DC outputs directly to your devices?

Is that common for a UPS in the EU? In the US, we usually use the dc adapter that comes with each device.

Both Solutions exist. For 12v at least.

But you might be right. I might be overthinking it and will get just one of those bulky ups strips

No that is not that common.
Most people (and enterprises) use 240vac UPS

Andy

1 Like

I use a TalentCell rechargeable li-ion battery pack. It’s able to power the Hub AND maintain charge at the same time. :+1:t2:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7Z9Z1N/

Tagging @srwhite for input here since I know he was working on a UPS project for SmartThings.

Any link for the product? The only versions I saw are 12v I believe that HE runs on 5v ?!

Correct, it is 5V. Most battery packs have a USB port, though, and you can use a USB-A to barrel connector. USB-A to barrel cables are available on Amazon, etc.

As long as the battery pack can do 2+ amp on the USB port you would be fine.

1 Like

Ah ah Thanks

1 Like

I never released the UPS project because my ST system had so many issues I couldn't never get it to work reliably until very recently. I'll be porting it over to Hubitat over the holidays and with any luck, may actually get it to work!

Just about any UPS that's compatible with apcupsd can be used with my UPS integration. I am preferable to APC, and this little guy isn't even $60. You'll spend at least half of that on a Raspberry PI to create a full-time monitoring system for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice - that'll work for all my hubs, my router, and my switch, for a mere $45.

Sure will. I would think you should expect get 1-2 hours of runtime with a hub and router on it.

Very interesting little guy but uk Plug :/:tired_face:
Need a EU plug

@srwhite did you ever get your UPS integrated with HE?

1 Like