Migration to C8

you should see this on your C7 that doesn't have hub hub protect.

"create a cloud backup for c-8 migration"

4 Likes

Full instructions including the free migration cloud backup:

I would also have you watch this video as well

And for inspiration...sooooo sexy. (I kinow, I have a little wire-management I need to finish up with. :slight_smile:

Oh and full credit to @snell - he designed the mount, I printed it at home on my 3D printer. Win/Win. Officially C5, C7, and C8 compatible!!

7 Likes

ok on topic a couple of questions.. got the c8 already.. quick ordered it 4 minutes after the post saying it was avail.

anyway about to tranasition, is there any reason to use the hub protect to do it vs just the free transition.

1. i have some automations and rules paused like rachio etc.. becuase obviously not being used now.. do they need to be reenabled to transition , or is it ok to leave them disabled ...

also i assume the antennas are uni-directional, ,any recommendations on antenna placement.. hub is on edge of center floor of house in the middle with devices above and below floors as well.

If you have Hub Protect or don't it's the same backup - just different UIs for the same result - creating a full cloud backup from the C-7.

We've been told antennas should be vertically oriented - point up or down, not sideways - parallel to the ground is not good.

You can have them paused during migration - I didn't see any issues for any I had paused.

@ogiewon had a great set of steps here. Only thing I'd add is if doing it again I would update the new hub to the current FW first so you don't have to do that after the migration, which saves you having to take another backup of the new hub immediately after migration.

2 Likes

i assume the ui is on the page somewhere under settings backup and is self explanatory..

also not sure why he says to disable all cloud integrations ifyou are going to shutdown the old hub anyway 5 minutes later? i guess if you later boot up the old hub.. but it wont connect anyway as the ip address will already be reassigned?

What was not mentioned was that you need to update your hub and get the new uploads page, which was why I had the problem in the first place.

So I successfully migrated. But I am a bit pissed because no one told me about the coming new hub when I had the ghost problem. I had already succeeded in the manual transfer to a new C-7 hub.

However, somehow one ghost had slipped in. Imagine my happiness when I found on the new C-8 hub a refresh and a remove worked.

1 Like

Yeah if you go to the backup page under settings you should see the stuff. You may have to click on a link to reload old backups in some case you see that link but you don't see the existing backups and the backup options.

I think the reason for pausing the integrations was if you forgot to turn off your source C7 or maybe turned it on again accidentally. The hub would still be trying to ping those old integrations and you probably don't want to waste You or your hubs time doing that.

nop getting the iniitial option to restore on startup.. that is first got after i changed ip and did upgrade.. is it enough to just restore a backup from the backup page.. i dont see a migrate option

@bobbyD
@rlithgow1

When you pick the restore from cloud option, it will give you the option to restore zigbee, or z-wave or both with check boxes.

no option for cloud backups as hub is not registred.. need the initial migrate optoion.. how do iget it back.

Make sure you're on the latest platform. Register the new hub first then you should see the restore from cloud option

1 Like

ok got the backup migrating thanks.. another note "show this hubs" backups only doesnt work as it technically is a new hub.. had to register and do show all backups to find the last cloud backup and do the migration...

thanks again.

also had to reboot the router after changing the mac address for the ip so it would pickup the new ip.

3 Likes

saved file manager files ahead of time.. as not sure what the limit was.. also anybody know if alexa cookie stuff works or i need to go through all that crap again.

I would leave the alexa stuff on the old hub and just hub mesh it in.. Reset the z-wave and zigbee radios though

well done guys.. hub booted up and got my text that the hub had rebooted.

working.
honeywell home
honeywell tcc
alexa devices
hue
alexa tts
wireless tag accounts (3)
dashboards
smart ups
tesla driver
kasa after a couple of tries to get it to see all the devices.
ecowitt all three instances
openweather
color cast weather
alexa cookie for tts transfered over ok also,,, just executed rule with test message.
hubigraph... all files transferred for history
harmony integration
konnected integration
rachio worked after redoing login.. still get webhook null error but got that before.
zigbee devices working fine.. with no tweeking (stayed on same channel)
went through all non battery zwave devices and tested.. stats in zwave are better but not all one hop.. a(but at least 90%) .. but everything is working that i could test..

i have the hub on a shelf upside down as i did the old one so the holes for air flow are up.. and not blocked.. antennas are both pointing up..

2 Likes

How does your z-wave table look? (routes may take some time to populate)

looking good for most of the devices i forced a refresh/on/off as i said about 90% are direct.. the few battery devices that checked in like temp sensors inside a wine fridge seem no better 2 hops etc. i will slowly open doors etc to get the battery devices to all check in..

now fighting with all the legacy cloud dashboard links in all my dashboards not working.. it will be a pain to replace all of them

1 Like

I think maybe you meant omnidirectional? I think the guidance is to keep them vertical and not too close to a 2.4ghz wifi AP but that's all I've seen.