Migrating piston from HPM Webcore to built-in Webcore is broke

I updated to the latest Hubitat firmware and installed the built-in Webcore. Long time Webcore HPM user. I setup all my devices in the new Webcore and everything seemed to be OK. However, when trying to use a backup code from HPM Webcore it always fails with something like "An error occurred while importing the backup bin." And the piston comes up blank.

Update: From within the HPM Webcore I tried to restore a piston that existed in HPM Webcore and I got the same error. So the import from backup code issue seems to be global for me and not specific to the new webcore app.

1 Like

How is your hub configured to receive an IP? With a static IP? Or via a DHCP reservation? My shot-in-the-dark guess is that it is unable to resolve the name of the server your pistons are backed up to.

If it is configured with a static IP, make sure you configure the DNS to be "1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8", i.e. two publicly accessible name servers. And configure your firewall so the hub can access UDP 53 on these two IP addresses.

It's static IP, and name resolution works fine. I can do name pings in the Hubitat network interface and it works fine. Plus I have Ecobee, life360, and Openweather that constantly access cloud services and they work fine. Reviewed my firewall logs and see lots of comms to those services from my hub. Tried Safari and Edge too without success. Everything works in Webcore except piston restore.

1 Like

I also see the hub doing a DNS lookup on api-us-f.webcore.co a few times this afternoon in my DNS logs, and the DNS query was successful.

1 Like

I would suggest you backup the pistons you want to a local file, and then restore from the local file to your new instance.

I expect you are running into:

and

(and why we suggested to wait...)

3 Likes

Is there a known issue re: backing up paused Pistons? I'm able to backup my non-paused Pistons just fine, but whenever I attempt to do so with a paused Piston, I receive this error message and cannot proceed:

FWIW, this is the user version of WC, not the built-in version, in case it matters.

are you using dashboard.webcore.co or staging.webcore.co?

Try staging.

Otherwise would need to see logs.

1 Like

Mine defaults to dashboard.webcore.co. I'd be happy to try other, but can't find it under Settings and don't see an obvious way to edit that URL manually (also, "staging" doesn't come up in the WC wiki).

Navigating to the staging URL in my Web browser just asks for some Registration Code, which was eluding me entirely, until I re-read the "How to" link it offers. Trying that now... I'm IN!

Unfortunately, same error persists when attempting to Backup Pistons on one or more Paused pistons. Hmmm.... will continue mulling. When I attempted to View one of the Paused pistons, I got this even more frustrating error message (both on staging and dashboard servers:

Yep, thanks, managed to get through that process just fine after a couple of false starts, thanks. I've moved onto breaking other stuff, lol. None of this is a showstopper, at least, since I did manage to backup my one un-Paused piston.

I'll just keep poking the Paused ones with a stick and see what happens. Meanwhile, I turned on Full logging in the WebCoRE app in case that turns up useful troubleshooting info.

Here's what I see in the Logs on HE thus far (I've redacted some Piston id stuff and highlighted the lines that sound most worrisome):

See:

1 Like

Perfect and much appreciated. So happens most of those boxes are already ticked in my particular case (most recent HE f/w, happened to reboot earlier this evening, latest WC user app version, etc.), but on to performing an HPM Repair and see where that lands me. Then will carefully follow remainder of outlines steps (awesome Guide, btw!!).

Feel free to ignore me henceforth, as none of the Paused pistons are precious to me. I just wondered if perhaps some unforeseen app misbehavior had recently arisen post-merger. TTYL.

UPDATE: Did all the things. No joy, alas. Will keep poking it with a stick . . .

To continue, with a separate-but-related question on the topic of Migrating from HPM to Built-In WebCoRE, while attempting to "Move Pistons"...

...is it fair to say the following response arises because this is an unfinished utility?

...or should I chalk it up to my peculiar "Paused Pistons Misbehaving" issue, above.

It likely is due to different account ids.

In general you would do better to logout, connect to old, backup to a file, then logout again, connect to new, and restore from the backup file

see: (1st and 2nd notes)

1 Like

If you have both instances showing you can do a Create from Piston from one instance to the other.

2 Likes

When I moved from ST a few months ago, this is the method I used to move my 40+ pistons to HE and it was really straightforward and easily done. It seems to make a lot of sense to use this method when moving to the HE version of webCoRE.

2 Likes

SOLUTION! But it turned out my old Pistons were not merely Paused they were Disabled (something the WC Dashboard doesn't reveal), and that was the cause of all this anguish. Sorry, guys!

Once I "Enabled" them (in the HE UI) and returned to your recommended + New Piston > Duplicate approach, I got (non-blank!) copies of the old pistons. I'm certain the old (user) WC will finally let me back up those now-Enabled pistons as well.

THANKS FOR THE HAND-HOLDING! Embarrassed to have caused this grief.

If I may ask, is there an advantage to migrating over to the built-in WebCoRE? Mine is still working without having to move... for the time being. And I believe it's still being updated.

If it is still working (no reason that it shouldn't be), there is no need to migrate.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.