Migrating from Homeseer

I've nothing to contribute re geofencing as I live on a small island with four residents and have a 15-second commute to my office (I walk down the hill about 50 feet). I did set it up once to see if it would activate when I kayak around the far end of the island, and it worked just fine. I just couldn't figure out what to do with it. I suppose I could make it lock and unlock the doors to the house, but that would require me finding the keys to the place. When we have guests in the summer they often lock the guest house when leaving. We get a good laugh from that.

1 Like

It’s been some time since I’ve been around. I moved off of Hubitat due to all the sluggish issues with motion lighting.

I find HS4 to be way more reliable then Hubitat, and much faster.

However, this was a while ago. How has the product matured over the last year and a half? Has the bugs related to constant reboots due to slowness been fixed? Has the constant database corruption for no reason been fixed?

I’m not knocking Hubitat, but curios where things stand these days.

If you like HS4 better, stay there. I experienced none of the problems you describe with Hubitat, so have no way to make such a comparison.

1 Like

Huh.. You asked a similar question last February... maybe the answer is kind of the same? Some of us have not had those issues at all so kinda hard to answer..

Check out the release notes:

There has been steady improvements to everything including an update to the Z-Wave firmware which replaced the old buggy DB. Are there still issues? No doubt! Are they getting prioritized and fixed? As far as I know - yes.

Also I would agree with @Madcodger - if you are happy with HS and it continues to suit your needs I'm not sure why you'd want to change? I'm sure HS has seen similar improvements over that time as well.

You might also want to check out Home Assistant - some members here run it in conjunction with HE and there are some nice community integrations available.

In my case I use Node-RED for my rules - I prefer the visual flow paradigm, flexibility and resource offloading it provides at the cost of added complexity of course. Even so HE continues to be the device controller/hub to beat imho.

1 Like

Okay? So it's been almost a year.

Just checking in on the status.

Why am I interested, because I enjoyed creating drivers and apps under this platform and was hoping in time things have become better.

I do run complex rules, well apparently, but I don't think so.

1 Like

I apologize - meant no offense! Checking back on the status is perfectly fine though the answer is still kind of the same. Yes there has been improvements but that is certainly true of most active systems out there.

You had some issues with motion lighting and you want to know if those kinds issues have been resolved/improved? Maybe?

correction - need coffee apparently. There was a Z-Wave firmware update that supposedly resolved some of the more cantankerous db issues. There is some other contention issue that Silicon Labs has yet to or maybe recently addressed but that affects all of their 700 series radios I think.

If you have a UZB-7 stick there is a firmware update available:

here is an explanation of the issues taken from the above thread.

1 Like

My issues were not z-wave related, but just the hub itself receiving and initiating motion lighting. I found most motion lighting events tooks a couple seconds where as Homeseer on a dedicated pc could fire these off a lot faster.

Lastly, the odd database corruptions, and constant need for daily reboots drove me away from the system.

That, and frustration with the staff....

Yeah that sucks to be sure. As I mentioned I use Node-RED and therefore the Maker API - motion events take no time at all, less than a second... I wonder if you tried the same in HS with the HE plugin?

1 Like

During that time frame, I used NR as well for testing. Which proved to be a lot faster, the same results I get with HS.

I also went as far as building my own motion lighting app and keeping the code as simple as possible. Still wasn't fast enough.

Correction, I think the time was 800ms-1000ms to turn a light on and with HS it was like 100ms or less.

Anyways, as we talk I'm remembering more reasons why I switched. :slight_smile:

In either case, I miss the app development.

1 Like

I do not have any experience with HS so cannot comment. For me HE + NR does the trick otherwise if I HAD to maybe Home Assistant + NR but I would be very unhappy about it.

1 Like

I agree with your observations.

FWIW, I have zigbee motion/contact sensors on one Hubitat triggering a z-wave+ switch on another via Node-RED. The lights reproducibly come on in under 200 ms. This is very similar to what I get using either Motion Lighting or Rule Machine. Caseta dimmers are fractionally faster (about 160 ms).

2 Likes

My Motion Lighting automations are still happily executing in the 100ms-175ms range. Zigbee Iris v2 motion sensors and Lutron Caseta dimmers/switches. Been running great for years now. No corrupted databases. No scheduled reboots. Knock on wood, it's been running smoothly for quite some time.

4 Likes

I appreciated your feedback. I do remember speaking with you.

If I can find one for sale off eBay for a low price, I would like to test things again.

2 Likes

I assume you’re referring to Rule Machine?

I don’t know how it compares to homeseer since I’ve never used that platform, but Hubitat has a few different apps that can be used to write automations (aka rules).

Rule Machine is by far the most complex, flexible, powerful etc. And yes that makes it the least intuitive option even within the Hubitat platform. But other apps like Basic Rules, Notifier or Hubitat Safety Manager are pretty straightforward to configure.

I’ve never had that problem.

Please keep the discussion on topic.

Seems like a lot of people didn’t have this issue and many did.

This is well over a year that I used Hubitat.

So is it fair to say that today these problems are not present?

Think you will find that while there are always exceptions the problems you are describing are not occurring, or are not occurring at a rate that is statistically significant. (Of course if you are that 1 in a million occurance you’re not going to be happy. :sunglasses: )

4 Likes

Well somebody should mail me a Hubitat so I can play. :slight_smile:

I’m sure Jeff Bezos would be happy to mail one to you.

2 Likes

What’s puzzling? Hubitat was always something i enjoyed, but for me I had issues.

Why I’m back is to determine where things stand with the platform.

Why, because I’m interested in picking a hub out and testing it out again.

Then purchase a hub and test it out.

Because even with your last hub, your experience didn't mirror mine or that of several others. Since each situation is apparently distinct, your past experience would suggest it is most productive for you to determine functionality for yourself, instead of relying on the experiences of others.