Migrating from earlier hub to C-7 hub?

Have you tried the shutdown, unplug (from the wall end), wait a minute, plug back in . . .

Sometimes that unsticks things.

Also, it may be time to involve @bobbyD . . . he helped me when I was sure I had bricked one of my C-7 hubs.

Thanks @Eric.C.Miller Yes, still happening even when doing the Comcast thing (unplug, wait, plug back in).

Never heard it called that but I get it!

I don't have anything more. Time for the big guns.

I suggest performing a "Soft Reset" by following instructions in below document:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

If the problem persists, and you have any custom code installed on your hub, you may want to reboot the hub in "Safe Mode," from the "Diagnostic Tool." If you are able to connect to the hub, then disable your apps or drivers to identify which causes the problem.

To access the Diagnostic Tool, please follow instructions in below document:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat_Diagnostic_Tool

To disable an app or a driver, please see "Disable Device Drivers" and "Disable Apps" sub-headings in the following documents:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Devices
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Apps

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thanks @bobbyD.
The hub worked out of the box. I registered it, then updated the firmware, and then the zigbee firmware (but that was current). I followed the advice on this thread to go from C4 to the new C7. I took today's auto backup from my C4 and uploaded to the C7 via the web interface. That's where/when it started to hang.

On my C4, I have only apps and drivers that one can find via the Hubitat interface, and some via the forms here (like the awesome package manager). My C4 has no issues.

• So at first I tried a unplug reset. Still hangs at 60%.
  • Then I went to the :8081 port menu and did the soft reset there. No help.
  • I tried Safe Mode, and that would load the interface, but all the interior pages showed the Error 500 display.
  • Then I tried to Restore to previous version of the HE firmware. That seemed to be ok (no issues going through the paces until reboot, at which point it hung again).
  • I can't even get to the interior screens to disable Devices or Apps.

Am I bricked?

That's progress. Hub is not broken. I would boot in Safe Mode again, then disable the package manager (may need to disable other community apps for good measure). Reboot the hub, go to the latest version, bring the hub online, then enable package manager. See if that works.

1 Like

I didn't get any apps nor devices installed on the C7, just updated the firmware and tried to load a C4 backup.

Did you try Soft Reset without restoring?

I tried the soft reset prior to doing the restoring to an earlier firmware.

Ok, the good news is that your hub is alive and well and connected to the cloud. It is still running 2.2.5. I suggest first going to this page:

http://hubIP:8081/deleteDatabaseTraceFiles

(replace hubIP with actual IP of your hub)

Then run another Soft Reset without restore.

1 Like

Ok, that helped.
Starting my migration. Not looking forward to it to be honest.

I see in RM on my C-4 that I can back up rules, so I backed up two, and then went to my C-7 RM to import them. They seemed to go through the import process just fine.

However...Apps -> Rule Machine: Unexpected Error has occurred trying to load the app. Check the logs.

Ok, so the logs show that there is an unknown device, which makes sense because I haven't migrated the device for these rules yet. Looks like I can't remove the imported rule so I'll have to remove the RM instead, then re-install.

Bummer part about not being able to import the database is now all my devices will be named something else I believe (if I have read this thread correctly).

I'm going to continue documenting my trials and tribulations on this thread if that's ok @bobbyD Feel free to help out, or just follow along, as I'm sure there will be questions popping up and maybe this will help the HE development team. I don't see any other major documentation about hub migration other than some basic steps that others have done, but nothing with any commentary.

1 Like

I have 37 Rules.
Super Tile
7 Thermostat Schedulers
Z-Wave Poller
Rachio Integration
Notifications
KeenectLiteMaster and 8 vent-zones
IFTTT integration
Hue Bridge Integration
The Hubitat Safety Monitor
2 Hubitat Dashboards
Google Home
Ecobee Integration
Echo Speaks
Cobra Apps - Speaker Central
Chromecast Integration
Amazon Echo Skill

It's still heating season here and the majority of my Rules have to do with keeping the home comfortable (keen vents, temp/humidity sensors, thermostat schedulers, and virtual therms, in each room/zone). So, I'm worried that once I start the migration, I'll need to finish in one fell swoop otherwise not everything will work until I do. We'll see.

I have 82 devices, 20 of which are virtual devices (virtual therms, or dashboard tiles, etc) the remaining are actual pieces of hardware.

3-weeks later....

Spring is in the air and it's easier to start migrating knowing that heat is not such an issue...however not wanting to venture outside is short sleeves is another....but I digress.

Thanks to @mike.maxwell as he jogged my brain and I found a LZF file that is only 3 months old which should include all my current HVAC settings. Yay.

I loaded up this C-4 created backup into my C-7 hub, and everything is there -- mainly all my Rules. AND my devices. Now I just need to get all the device radios to move to the new beacon in the C-7.

Here are my live logs from the new C-7. Pretty sure these are telling me that I need to get all the devices to the C-7 radios (z-wave and zigbee).

Thought I'd throw one more up.

Rachio should be LAN not sure why that one wouldn't have just come up after the restore.

Zigbee is very easy if you only had one device.. it's the multiplication that hurts :slight_smile:

Devices:

04 Chromecast
09 Echo (wifi)
01 Ecobee (wifi)
09 Z-Wave
04 Halo Smoke Alarm (zigbee)
03 Hue (wifi)
26 Zigbee (18 Keen vents)
21 WiFi (Rachio, Echos, Chromecasts, Ecobee, etc).

Yes, the repetition will be hell.

I'm thinking that should be pretty smooth. The nine z-wave are probably the worst. Check up to make sure none of those will want to pair S0. I'll be interested to hear about your experience.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.