Migrating a Z-Wave Network

I actually got it working by not clicking detect and just selecting the zstick and clicking ok with the version and description being blank. I just joined it to m ycurrent C5 as a test.

Out of curiosity, before I start migrating, is there a way to see the neighbor table like what the C7 can show?

1 Like

Ah good I thought you had selected the entry which is why I was confused..

I think the answer is yes but have never done it - you can also run a topology map.

The user interface on the PC Controller sw and "Simplicity" Studio is terrible but functional.

1 Like

So what do we do with those apps/devices that get migrated over when transferring the database? Delete them off the new hub so they can be re-created new?

It also sounds like my Zen30s won't transfer this way since the relay is a child device.

You could keep your old hub and use that for cloud/network/mobile apps/devices.. then use HubMesh to share as needed. That's what I am doing. Lightens the load off the main hub(s) a bit.

3 Likes

I've been trying to reproduce this, as I realized the Ilumins I have are paired with S0. I've not been able to get them added using the minimote. I guess I'll get a z-stick.

FYI for anyone else doing this, I've encountered a couple of devices that don't work or only partially work after reassigning the network ID, but if they're paired as a new device and left that way, they do work. About half of my Jasco Motion Dimmers/Switches (one of each) worked as a dimmer/switch after doing the ID swap but never reported motion. Removing and re-adding as a device and leaving them in place got both switch and motion successfully.

Similarly, one of my contact sensors didn't report events after swapping IDs, but removing and re-adding got it working.

I believe that two types of devices have been noted (perhaps in this thread) by @bravenel as not supporting this migration method:

(1) parent / child devices. I have the Jasco 26931 and 26933 Smart Motion diners/switches where the motion sensor and dimmer/switch are child devices of the parent, using Jason Bottjen’s (@JasonJoel’s) excellent Component drivers, and a Zooz ZEN16 MultiRelay. I had to exclude and include them, as you did, because the DNI swap didn’t work.

(2) devices that are included securely, such as locks and perimeter contact sensors. I had to exclude and include them, as you did, because the DNI swap didn’t work.

The Smart Motion Dimmers surprise me primarily, because I'm using the built-in support which exposes them as a single device. I agree, if they're exposed as child devices, then this wouldn't be expected to work.

@bravenel - can I also use this to add a hub, split devices based on proximity to each hub, and then create a mesh?

As in

1. Install a new hub
  2. Restore from backup of primary
  3. Move devices selectively (based on above method)
  4. Partition devices between the two (both C7 in my case)
  5. Enable Mesh?

This is a HUUUUUGE Help! Thanks for posting the steps for manual Z-Wave migration, they're working like a charm so far. I've been running my C-4 since 2018 with next to no issues. I figured it was time to modernize. :crazy_face: