Migrating a Z-Wave Network

My apologies then to @rob9 . I have never seen a Z-Wave exclude remove those items from a hub.

When done from the Hub where it was registered, an "exclude" will certainly remove the device from the network and the list of Z-Wave devices it knows about.

It won't necessarily remove the device from the rules and tiles--but that is somewhat system dependent. Currently, on the Hubitat hub you can go into the device information screen and see the apps that reference it and remove it from all of them--definitely, pre-removal clean up you should do (unless you're doing some DNI magic later to restore things). Otherwise, you'll have broken apps/dashboards.

If you exclude the device from the network using another hub (or a reset) and don't go into the hub and remove it from the network there, it can create some issues as things try to talk to it.

2 Likes

I appreciate the clarification. Thanks!

1 Like

@bravenel, can I use general exclusion on the new hub to remove the devices from the old hub.
Just thinking that the old hub mesh will get weaker and weaker and not be able to reach while the new gets stronger and a wider reach

General exclusion on any Z-Wave controller will exclude a device, so yes.

So I could disable the zigbee and z-wave radio on old hub and do it all on new hub

1 Like

Correct. You can do it all on the new hub.

2 Likes

2 hours in and 1 room done

3 Likes

I'm migrating. But for some reason it has stopped letting me remove the temp z-wave device I get a 500 error when I force remove but its still on the device list

What is your DNI set to? If you changed that to something not a hex number, the hub can get grumpy.

I don’t think I knew this

@mark.cockcroft it may be time for you to do a shutdown via the settings menu and unplug the hub from the wall for a couple minutes to reset the zwave radio and to power back up and retry.

Yep change the dni to 01 and it's working

1 Like

Be careful--I think I'd choose an unused DNI. Nodeid 1 is the hub. (the first several are, actually--something like 1-5) :slight_smile:

o well jus seen this as ive finish z-wave, and 90% zigbee only 1 ghost node i can see. doing a reboot

Fyi hub file manager files aren't transferred as part of the backup

I must be doing something wrong but I'm unable to access dashboards using the app

Edit fixed it by toggling these (advanced menu)on 1 dashboard, then they all appeared in the mobile app

@bravenel thanks for the perfect writeup. Got one of my hubs migrated in record time. That being said, I don't suppose there's a quick way to point all these HubMeshed devices to the new versions is there?

Oh? I would expect that they would be part of either a local or a web backup. I had a good occasion to that this recently but never thought to do so...

File manager files are not backed up, either locally or to the cloud.

Then, as a feature request, could backup/restore of File Manager files be added to downloaded local backup, please? Or, as an alternative, a mechanism be added to download and restore selected File Manager files?

2 Likes