Migrating a Z-Wave Network

Thanks Bruce. Much appreciated.

I just tried moving my C-3's stick to the C-7 (to which had restored a copy of the C-3's database) using an OTG cable.

Zigbee devices worked fine on the C-7, however the C-7's Z-Wave settings page still showed just the few Z-Wave devices that I had previously joined to it when checking it out (and none of the devices from the copy of the C-3's database). Yet the C-7's new Z-Wave logging page was showing messages that included the node ID's of the C-3's Z-Wave devices... it appeared that both Z-Wave radios were still active. Did I miss some step in the process?

Did you see any events from the node ID's of the C-7 devices? We will look into this, but I'm pretty sure that the internal radio is disabled once you connected the external radio -- assuming you shut the hub down, and powered it back up again after connecting the stick.

@bcopeland

I was able to refresh (using the refresh buttons on the Z-Wave settings page) the devices that had been paired only to the C-7 (they were still powered up at the time) and they changed from Unknown to OK. These devices did not produce any entries in the Z-Wave logging.

EDIT: Wen I did a Z-Wave repair on the C-7, the node IDs of those original devices were listed in the log of the repair. The node IDs of the C-3 devices did not participate.

I did shutdown and restart the C-7 when relocating the stick, however now that I think about it I did not do a soft reset on the C-7; I just loaded the copy of the C-3 database.

Two other things that might need a different approach:

Devices that change from un-secure to secure inclusion. I had several of these. If you use the previous device, you loose the secure paring information in the data listing of the device.

Devices that might be replaced with a different manufacturer/model as part of the migration. I had three 300 series receptacles that I replaced with 500 series devices due to in-place paring problems with the C-7. If you use the previous device, the information such as manufacturer, deviceType and deviceId may be incorrect which may lead to incorrect behavior if there are manufacturer specific tweaks in the driver.

Is there any way to force re-evaluation of the data other than exclude/re-include?

For those of you doing a migration, where your "real" devices exist on one hub, and your "rules" exist on another hub (a "server" hub, connect via HubConnect), you are in luck!
You do not have to change your rules at all.
All you have to do is to change the DNI of the devices that have been migrated in the "server" hub. (Keep the same names).
That's all.

1 Like

As part of my C4 migration I replaced (instead of migrated) some of my Z-Wave devices. During that process I still changed the DNIs before pairing the new devices. Now when I try to remove those original devices I get an Error 500. Restarts, soft reset, change DNI again don't help.

What is the new DNI? It must be a valid hex number.

4 Likes

Thanks, that worked!

The new z-wave functionality .. Won’t automatically work with a z-wave stick.. In fact I don’t think the z-wave stick would be discovered at all.. The tech is too different.. The stick would have to be re-flashed with different firmware before it could even be compatible..

I'm not in need of any new functionality, I just want to be able to use the C-3's stick, along with its database, in the C-7 in lieu of any other straightforward migration capability. Again, not for new function; my existing Z-Wave devices work fine as is; I just want to be able to swap hubs and transfer database/stick if C-3 or its power supply fails.

@bravenel indicated this was a migration scenario for C-3/C-4 owners and is indeed the reason I bought the C-7. Has anyone at Hubitat actually tried transferring a C-3/C-4 stick to the C-7 or am I the first one to do so?

Evidently I was wrong about being able to use the Nortek stick with a C-7, at least the Z-Wave portion of it. But, what would be the point of doing that? C-4 and C-5 have the same Z-Wave stack, and the Nortek can be used with a C-5. C-7 has a different Z-Wave stack, that does not work with the Nortek.

I would gladly trade you a C4 or C5 (and maybe a few $) for the C7. :slight_smile:

I have an extra of each (C4 and C5).

Well, the point was to use the stick with the C-7, since I own a C-7 and C-3. I don't have a C-4 or C-5 (until recently I was a member of the one hub minority LOL).

Nah-- I'll stick with the C-7, thanks anyway. I like the svelte appearance, and if I ever buy any new Z-Wave devices I'll deploy them there. When/if the C-3's number is up, I'll bite the bullet and migrate the old fashioned way. Glad I found now rather than continue to blissfully assume I had my bases covered-- though in reality, it doesn't make any difference :neutral_face:

1 Like

Completed my conversion with two issues. Transferred 109 zigbee devices, added 15 more zigbee devices, removed 20 z-wave devices, transferred 38 z-wave devices and did a kwikset z-wave to zigbee conversion. Old C-3 has become a non-critical hub with no radios active, running non-critical apps. C-7 is is the z-wave and zigbee controller. Both are connected on via HubConnect. I am trying Echo Skill on the C-3 and will also use the C-3 for Dashboard, have a few setup.

So far everything is great. Only problem I have is that I cannot get my Centralite Pearls to reconnect.

Also just realized that my GoControl garage doors are not updating the status unless I refresh.

Hoping that someone has some suggestions.

Ohh.. Those things have a horrible pairing mechanism.. It’s been a while.. But I believe you have to go into the hidden menu to get it started..

Yeah not sure what to do about these 2 items.

Garage Doors I can controls without issue. But the status is never updated and there is no log entry showing that it was being opened. Just this and nothing else. This is what I got when I was in HE and opened the door from HE.

dev:27872020-08-04 07:06:22.970 am warndescription logging is: true

dev:27872020-08-04 07:06:22.969 am warndebug logging is: true

dev:27872020-08-04 07:06:22.967 am infoupdated...

For the Pearls I think I am going to unplug for a bit and try again.

Solved Pearl Issue:
Remove batteries and replace with new AA batteries. Reassemble and test operation. Step 2: Factory Reset and Rejoin Enter Programming Mode, navigate to Menu ID β€œ17”, press HOLD, then navigate to option β€œ11”, then press HOLD again. The device will then factory reset itself and begin looking for an open network to join.

Still need to investigate garage doors more.

FWIW, I am not having this issue with my GoControl garage door devices. However, these are one of the devices that I did not convert according to Bruce's instructions. The reason for this is the difference in pairing.

My GoControls look like this:

• deviceType: 18244
  • zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true
  • inClusters: 0x5E,0x5A,0x72,0x73,0x98
  • zwNodeInfo: D3 1C 80 04 40 07 5E 5A 72 73 98 68 23 F1 00 86 85 5C 59 66 22 71
  • secureInClusters: 0x86,0x85,0x59,0x66,0x22,0x71
  • deviceId: 13616
  • S2: 128
  • manufacturer: 335

True.. securely joined devices can't migrate that way, they must be excluded and a new Join, because the Security Key on the new Hub is never going to be the same as the old. That would be very bad news if it were. :frowning: