Migrating a Z-Wave Network

I'm getting ready to follow these steps to migrate everything over to my C7 over the next week. I have a zstick arriving today (will be using a laptop so I can walk around to each device). Is there a guide on how to use the PC software/zstick as a secondary controller for including or excluding devices?

You shouldn’t need PC Controller.. Unless you need to include some really busy S0 only devices.. Do you mind sharing what kinds of devices you are migrating?

1 Like

Well, I especially want to include my three Zen40s with no security. I'm not sure what else may have problems. Possibly my Aeotec heavy duty smart switch since it reports power, but I don't know if it will default to S0 or not. Maybe my two Zen25s as well.

If you are going for non S0 inclusion then you will want to make sure to “skip” secure inclusion when including your Z-Wave stick.

Start Z-Wave inclusion on the hub and in PC Controller under Network Management click “Select Learn Mode” then “NWI”.

When the prompt comes up on your hub to securely include click “Skip” and your PC Controller won’t have any security.

Then you can use PC Controller to include those devices without security easily.

3 Likes

Do you mean ZSE40s? And ones that are not brand new? You will be able to pair them with a secondary controller and no security. But they won't work well. There's a possibility to still mess with your Z-Wave mesh. And drain batteries. It's not worth the hassle. You can keep them on your old hub and use the Hub Mesh app to keep on using them if you want.

The newest ZSE40s with the 700 series Z-Wave chip (just released) will work fine with the C7.

1 Like

Whoops, yes that's what I meant. All three are V2 500 series.

You can keep them on your old hub and use the Hub Mesh app to keep on using them if you want.

This was my initial plan, but see this thread for why I'm not doing that now.

I agree with @bill.d, you want to avoid putting those on the C7. I had 3 on my C7 and that (along with some other issues) caused me some major Z-Wave headaches.

The new ones are V2 700 series.

I know someone wrote up a nice guide on using the pc controller software. I think in the context of how to remove ghost nodes. I can't find it though. I also can't seem to find the actual software to download anywhere, which is weird. I'm starting to suspect it's bundled in with one of the SDKs or something.

3 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

EDIT: And it looks like I was on the right track downloading the Simplicity Studio. I had a hunch it was included.

1 Like

The driver version Windows installed for the zstick is much older than what you have in your guide. Is that an issue?

Also, I don't have a bin folder inside the pc_controller folder. I was going to try manually updating the driver.

What version of simply studio are you installing?.. Mine is Simplicity Studio V5 and my driver is this:

I think you should be okay though.

The latest version of v5.

When I get to step 7 where you select the device in the pc controller software, the software just sits there with a green bar going across saying

waiting for completed action

The version populates like your screenshot, but everything is grayed out and unclickable. I've tried it like 10 times now with the same result. I've even tried waiting about 20 minutes to see if anything will happen.

@danabw has one here somewhere.. It’s a PDF

That was the link I provided... :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I think you DO need the updated VCP drivers... apologies on that.

1 Like

Uninstalled the device through device manager, then installed the newer driver, put zstick back in and it installed the new driver for the device. Rebooted. But I'm still stuck trying to select a source.

The green bar at the bottom just continuously moves and it says waiting for completed action. All the buttons are grayed out.

So are you using a standard Aeotec Z-Stick (ZW090-A) or the UZB-7?

You didn't flash any firmware on it did you?

Also maybe try a different usb port if you have one (you probably already did this).

This is what my UZB-7 looks like:

And this is what my Z-Stick Gen 5 looks like:

I actually got it working by not clicking detect and just selecting the zstick and clicking ok with the version and description being blank. I just joined it to m ycurrent C5 as a test.

Out of curiosity, before I start migrating, is there a way to see the neighbor table like what the C7 can show?

1 Like