Migrating a Z-Wave Network

Then, as a feature request, could backup/restore of File Manager files be added to downloaded local backup, please? Or, as an alternative, a mechanism be added to download and restore selected File Manager files?

2 Likes

That is good to know - Thank you!

Like @672southmain, I would make a feature request for this. It may not be used by a lot, but I have noticed some developers making use of this space to collect data.

If it isn’t something that can be done, it might be a good idea to note this somewhere in the backup screen for those, like me, that would have made the assumption that the information is backed-up... (Yea, I know... Assumptions... :wink:)

I continue to be surprised by what is not backed up/restored, even by Hub Protect.

I agree with the idea. Either expand the backups to include this data or, at the very least, possibly consider a special "backed up user data" location. I can see people being caught off guard by "backups" not including key/critical user data written by apps. Heck, they (and even the app devs) might not realize the situation. Restores might pop a "Restore App Data?" question.

I've seen somewhere instructions on removing stubborn ghost nodes using a external stick but can't find it.

Also is there a way with z-wave to rejoin a device without excluding it, I've a device with no in or out details and it's working but not quite right

2 Likes

I'm glad to read that thi method dexcribed at the top of this thread worked for some... I've been stuck for 2 days now having ghost devices created every step of the way... not one device will connect without generating bugs... All my backup-retored devices ID's were renamed with a X appended to them like X0D, X0F, and so on, but this doesn't prevent the hub for associating devices in a totally chaotic manner. 2 days on this and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. At least I know I must be doing something wrong... Although having to cold reboot my hub everytime I need to remove a ghost device that was created everytime I try to associate a device is starting to make me thingk there' s a flaw somewhere in this firmware (2.2.7).

I have some Inovelli zwave switches with child devices, so these will not migrate using the above method?

They will migrate, but you will have issues with the child devices.

I had several when I migrated. I removed all of them before proceeding and then re-added them and they worked. However, those that I had forgotten to remove wouldn’t work. Removing them worked afterwards (on the new hub).

1 Like

When you say you removed them, do you mean you just removed the child devices, or the parent too?

I just removed the child devices. First be sure they are not used by an app, then disable them via the right settings in the parent. Let me know if you get stuck on any of them…

2 Likes

I am getting ready to do the migration soon, finally have my C7.

I see some people in other threads saying to make the new hub use the same IP as the old hub, but the original post in this thread does not mention this. Perhaps thats a step for people going from C5 to C7? Is this necessary for the C4 to C7 migration?

Not sure why - just make sure you have a fixed or reserved IP address for the hub like you probably did with the C-4 so it wont hop around. You may decide to keep the C-4 running - you could use it for cloud/network stuff like Alexa like I do with a C-5.

edit: I have 3 hubs running in my setup.. 2 C-5's and a C-7. I migrated from 2 C-4's by "location" (basement / 2nd floor) to "type" - a C-7 for Z-Wave, C-5 for Zigbee, and C-5 for network/cloud stuff. You don't have to go that far - I had them on hand so figured what the heck..

2 Likes

That's what I thought, I have reserved a separate ip. Now removing zwave child devices on the c4 in preparation.

And thanks for the suggestions I may keep the c4 for cloud integration

2 Likes

Also check out this post if you haven't already...

2 Likes

Yes I actually have it printed lol

2 Likes
  1. Remove the device called A Remove, whose DNI starts with A. This was actually the joined device but we've now assigned its DNI to the device used in automations, so we don't need it anymore. It was called A Remove so that it would handily be at the top of the Devices page, and you'd know to remove it.

How do I complete this step? I tried force remove but I get error 500. Do I use exclusion from the switch?

Short answer, no, don’t do an exclusion from the switch. Try shutting down the hub, pulling the power from the wall for a few minutes and start it back up. Then try again.

Some details…. At this point in the process, the “A Remove” device should have an invalid DNI (Intentionally). If you were to do an exclusion from the switch, you would actually exclude the new version of it that has the new DNI. That would defeat the purpose - you would need to fix all the rules / apps where the device was setup.

1 Like

That's what I thought, exclusion from the switch would remove the new version.

I'll try again tomorrow

Edit** changed the original device back to a random valid 2 digit dni and it removed right away.

1 Like

Everything going well but Just realized I haven't been factory resetting the inovelli switches the proper way after exclusion and before inclusion to the new hub.

The switches are behaving fine on the new hub, is this something I should worry about?