Migrate from c5 to c7 (pairing of devices)

I just got my new C7 to replace my C5. Is it any easier now or do I still have to re-pair all my devices. That sounds daunting and not very fun!

It can be substantially easier if you use the Hub Protect service. This will permit a seamless migration of all your z-wave devices without the need to exclude them from the C-5 and include them using the C-7.

Zigbee devices will have to be reset individually, but when zigbee pairing is activated on C-7, they will pair with their existing device name and device-id.

3 Likes

Argh. I guess I hit the paywall. :confounded:

1 Like

Yup. What Ashok said.

One thing is unclear for me though. I think you need to purchase the protection service for your C5, backup the C5, restore on the C7, and then contact support to move the protection service to your C7.

But I not sure.

1 Like

Would be sweet if they included a one-time migration if you are upgrading hubs.

1 Like

As @bobbyD has pointed out a few times, the primary purpose of Hub Protect is to provide an extended warranty. Facile migration of z-wave devices is ancillary to that, and was created for the express reason that Hubitat can ship out a warranty replacement hub that already has z-wave devices migrated.

But in any case, here's the work around:

Zigbee devices would still be migrated in exactly the same way as described in my previous post.

3 Likes

Ok now I am thoroughly confused. I ended up buying Hub Protect 1) to make the migration easier and 2) To support Hubitat as a company because I enjoy their products.

That being said, their Hub Protect migration guide is a bit ambiguous. I am performing the Z-Wave Repair on my C-5 as we speak. After that, I will do a cloud backup.

The part I am unsure about is it sounds like the Hub Protect I just bought is non-transferrable. So now I have Hub Protect on a Hub I am about to get rid of and it can't be transferred to my new C-7. Is that correct?

Also, do I need to purchase another Hub Protect plan for the C-7 in order to restore my cloud backup?

Is there anything I am missing here? Trying to do things the right way in order to not screw things up.

I do realize I will need to re-pair my Zigbee devices after migration, which is fine, but will they just show up as a previously paired device or am I going to need to rebuild all my automations and everything? I sure hope it's the former. :slight_smile:

No. You don't. Unless you want an extended warranty on your C-7.

Again, bear in mind the primary purpose of Hub Protect is to provide Hubitat owners the option of purchasing an extended warranty - hence the name "Hub Protect".

I don’t want to protect my C5. I want to protect my C7. I only bought hub protect so I could make the migration easier to the new device.

I understand that. But z-wave migration isn't the reason that Hub Protect is offered as a service.

Dead hub = unusable. All other situations are a hub that is perfectly usable/sellable whatever.

I get it. But you have to admit my use case is logical and should be addressed as one.

I don't share that perspective.

That’s ok.

And I don’t agree with you based on their own product/subscription definition. Do you see a hierarchy of benefits? In fact, extended warranty is last on the feature list, not first.

1 Like

It is a warranty service; z-wave transfer is ancillary to that. How many extended warranties do you know that transfer to the new product, when the old product is still functional?

I have AppleCare on my iPhone. If I purchase a new iPhone (my choice), should my AppleCare transfer to the new iPhone? In reality, it doesn't. Same deal.

Where does it state that the order of the stated benefits indicates the order of their precedence?

With AppleCare you can cancel the old plan and get a pro-rated refund on the old device, so that example doesn’t really work here.

No one is being stopped from selling their old functional hubs. And in any event, my opinion, or anyone else's doesn't matter. Hub Protect is structured not to transfer unless the new hub is a warranty replacement.

Where does it state it is primarily an extended warranty service with ancillary benefits? I mean, come on, I understand your argument, it’s just full of holes and you’re acting like it’s written in stone.