Mi Air Fryer

ok thanks. I'll do that.

Hi! Instead of Mi Connector, use the raspberry pi to set up a home assistant instance, then pair the fryer to home assistant using this community integration GitHub - tsunglung/XiaomiAirFryer: Xiaomi Smart Air Fryer integration for Home Assistant and then set up the wonderful Home Assistant Device Bridge in Hubitat to control the device from hubitat.

1 Like

thanks. sounds like a nice idea.
But what is home assistant ?

Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

1 Like

Ok. I'll check that. What about Alexa commands ?
Does the home assistant integration allow Alexa commands ?

You'd be better off using the Home Assistant Device Bridge (once fully setup) to bring the device capabilities into Hubitat, then use Hubitat's Alexa integration. Home Assistant requires an extra service to get Alexa working and it's paid if I'm not mistaken. It's free on Hubitat.

2 Likes

ok that I understood.
But I am not sure how to control the fryer through Hubitat's alexa skill.
What commands could be used ?

I've installed HA and configured the device. Now I can see it on Hubitat. but what about Alexa commands ?

Install the Amazon Echo Skill app on your Hubitat hub, configure it, and then add the device shared from Home Assistant to the Amazon Echo Skill app.

This should make it available to Alexa. However, if you have any trouble, you might want to add something simple to the Amazon Echo Skill app, like a virtual switch for testing. See if you can turn the virtual switch on and off with your voice.

Felt I should say thank you, just did some research after seeing this thread as I bought a Proscenic T21 air fryer recently. Just found an extremely interesting article about replacing the built in WiFi board with an ESP32 and using tasmota to bring it into home assistant with all features enabled.

As an aside, integrated or not I've been seriously impressed - this thing has been an absolute game changer in the kitchen.

1 Like

I already have Echo Skill activated and I use it with several devices.
And now this device from HA is also available in Alexa.
But I still don'T know how to control it using voice commands.
Because HA bridge does not bring 1 device to Hubitat.
It brought several devices, one is named "careli.fryer.maf02" and another one named "Target Temperature" , "Target Time" ....
so which should be imported to Alexa and how to use voice commands ?

You are trying to help me with a solution and I really don't want to disturb you with my dummy questions. But I didn't understand the concept here..

OK, I just have to chime in here. As a volunteer firefighter in a rural community, I cannot fathom any good reason to remotely (i.e., via an app or automation device) control an air fryer (or any other cooking device outside of perhaps a crock pot, and I'm admittedly not thrilled with those). Automating an air fryer is just a bad idea.

Air fryers make flammable things, sometimes with lots of grease in them, very hot. And while the fact that those things are contained in a vessel probably lowers that risk, I'd bet that it doesn't reduce it to anywhere near zero. And if we stop and think about it, is remote control / automation of an air fryer really necessary, or even all that helpful? Doesn't an air fryer already make the cooking process a lot faster? At the very least, this sounds like an invitation for lots of smoke events setting off alarms, even if there is no active fire (but people like me still need to go investigate).

I'm all for automation. And we have an air fryer that we use almost every day. But there's no way on earth I think those two things should be combined. At the very least, it's going to cause unnecessary smoke events. At worst, it's going to cause loss of property or even life. So, please: Just. Say. No.

7 Likes

I must say; I really disagree with you. First of all, you are just writing with a very few understanding on the subject. And you don't even know under which conditions I use the air fryer.

First of all, nowadays there are many other connected devices at home which may cause a fire. My internet router gets near 100C degrees and it continuously runs. I have a server running 7/24 at home. It can explode.
Combined with a water leak, every electronic device at home is a danger. And a water leak can occur anytime.
I have a 3D printer which sometimes works over a full day (24 hours) to complete a project. It reaches 200-250C degrees when running.

For all of these, I have a controlled house. I have water leak detectors at all bathrooms and kitchen. I have 2 smoke detectors on the same floor and a gas detector in the kitchen.

Xiaomi Air Fryer does not make smoke just so you know (you say it would make smoke even if there is no active fire)

And lastly, I do not plan to start/run Air fryer when I am not at home.
I am just looking for a way to start a program on the air fryer without walking to the kitchen.
Say watching a movie with the family and want to start it when we get hungry.

So please: just say "Yes to automation"

1 Like

I want to go back to the subject/problem:

I already have Echo Skill activated and I use it with several devices.
And now this device from HA is also available in Alexa.
But I still don'T know how to control it using voice commands.
Because HA bridge does not bring 1 device to Hubitat.
It brought several devices, one is named "careli.fryer.maf02" and another one named "Target Temperature" , "Target Time" ....
so which should be imported to Alexa and how to use voice commands ?

You are trying to help me with a solution and I really don't want to disturb you with my dummy questions. But I didn't understand the concept here..

What does the “ careli.fryer.maf02” entity in HA do? Can you switch it ON and OFF in Home Assistant from that entity?

My apologies but I’m not at all familiar with your air fryer, and I’m getting ready to move across the country. My HA computer and my HE hubs were taken offline two days ago in preparation for our move.

careli.fryer.maf02 is the main switch and it can start/stop cooking with on/off commands.
So if I import this to Alexa and change its name, I will be able to turn on/off using it.
However, I am already able to do that with Mi Home skill.
I am looking for a way to control other functions of the device.

moving to another place is a difficult process. I wish you gıo through it easily.
And I am sorry to take your time with my questions. Please feel free to ignore me. Maybe you can answer after you complete the move process...

Thanks and no worries. I’m answering because I want to, not because I feel obligated. All good.

You’ll only ever be able to do more than what the HA integration allows, and only if it creates an entity that is compatible with one of the existing Generic Component devices available on HE.

One thing that comes to mind would be to setup an automation on HE so when you leave, the air fryer would automatically shut off in case you forget and leave it on. But honestly, none of these things are all that useful for an Air Fryer anyway, in my personal opinion. It is one of those appliances that typically is going to cook so fast, that there’s little to no chance you’re not going to be there for the whole process anyway. Seems like a feature just for the sake of a feature. Just my personal opinion though. Maybe something I’m not considering that would be very helpful.

1 Like

My main uses are preheating from another room, changing temperature to crisp things towards the end and notifying me to shake during cooking. Also keeping track of timing (eg notifying me when the cycle finishes).

A mixture of pain medication and mobility issues make an integrated cooking facility very useful. A measure of caution is always helpful but the benefits certainly outweigh the relatively minor risk in my case.

1 Like

Good points. Are you using the same air fryer? The op’s doesn’t seem to have those capabilities. At least not with the HA integration.

I'm using a Proscenic T21, it's currently managed using a branded app via their servers but having done some research after seeing this thread I'll be converting it to Tasmota (hardware swap, replace the WiFi board with an ESP32) which will enable full local control via home assistant.

1 Like