Method to use weather info in a Rule

I have a few devices outside which I normally turn on at night when the weather is normal but I would like the Rule to "skip" or not execute if it has been raining. Does anyone know how to use a rain data element in a Rule?

Do you have a device in Hubitat already that reports rain? If so, it should be possible to use that in a rule (whether it's a standard or custom attribute on the device, there's a way to use it). But if not, that's your first hurdle: Rule Machine itself doesn't have any weather-monitoring capabilities built in.

If the latter is the case, then I'm not sure what people are using these days (OpenWeatherMap? I know ApiXu was popular before the free plan became limited). Personally, I bought a weather station and wrote a driver for it, which is certainly an option and a local-in-every-sense option at that, but that might be overkill for most people... :slight_smile: (And I have yet to find meaningful use for most of this data in Hubitat, but that's another story.)

I have OpenWeatherMap setup on my HE7 but it does not include rainfall so, unless I can find another method I'm going to use the Humidity var with OpenWeatherMap.

Have you checked all of the openWeather options? I have an option enabled that shows rainfall for the day.

@pfmiller ... I don't see that option... can you post a screenshot of yours where it shows rainfall?

I've see folks use tipping bucket gages tied to a content sensor that has remote inputs. This would be more accurante that looking at a rain indicator from a central montioring station. There are also some weather stations with integrations that work great with Hubitat also but that would be a larger investment.

I found this tipping bucket 3d printer model interesting:

I use the Weather.Gov App and use the text attribute to make rules on which type of weather I want my solar pool actuator to be on. You could prob do the opposite to just use the type of weather you want to keep devices off.

It's the rain today attribute. It looks like the option to enable that is called "Today's Precipitation volume" under the optional settings.

Example using Openweather and variables...

@pfmiller ... my list of OpenWeather API vars does not match yours. I'm using the free account, are you paying for yours?

Nope, just using a free account