Mesh: unable to share new devices and variables

I recently plugged in a new switch to one of the two hubs i have, only to find out i am unable to share it with the root hub (centralized setup is just more convenient).

Interestingly, I can manipulate every other device I already have on the mesh, I just cannot share the new ones, no matter whether I share it from the 'Hub Mesh' setting, or from the device page directly; no matter which hub shares a new device, the other one is unable to see it.

Digging a little bit deeper I discovered that I am unable to share new variables, too.

Is there anything I could do to troubleshoot (and ideally) fix this?

An extra bit of information: both hubs are running the latest firmware.

1 Like

You probably know this but from the wording quoted maybe not. You have to always do both. You set the device to Hub Mesh enabled on the device page, then you go to the hub mesh settings page to share it with other hubs.

On the hub mesh page do all your hubs show up under active hubs?

Is the device you turned on hub mesh enabled for not listed as available under it's respective hub on the hub mesh settings page, under linked devices?

2 Likes

One or the other should work on the "local" hub. You do still have to go on the remote hub(s) and add the devices; perhaps that is what you meant. Otherwise, on the local hub, the device detail page slider is just a shortcut to this first step, which can also be done directly grommet Hub Mesh itself.

For the OP, have you seen if TCP vs. UDP makes a difference for you? If you didn't change anything on your network and one worked before, it still should; TCP may work better on some networks, but all hubs must use the same setting. Still something you could check! Reconnecting Hub Mesh (button on the main page) or just restarting the hubs (does that too, just a lot more, of course) might help...

1 Like

Thank you very much for a very fast response! I did not anticipate that!

You have to always do both.

The shared device is enabled in both places - under 'devices' and in the hub mesh settings, but would not show up on the other hub.

(i wanted to post screenshots here but apparently i am not allowed to)

On the hub mesh page do all your hubs show up under active hubs?
the hubs do show up -- the primary hub is able to see the node, and the node is able to see the primary hub, but there's something more i just discovered (read on)

(wanted to post more screenshots here but again I couldn't)

Is the device [...] not listed as available under it's respective hub on the hub mesh settings page, under linked devices?

it doesn't show on any hub under linked devices - neither the primary nor the node hubs show it under "linked devices".

You do still have to go on the remote hub(s) and add the devices;

This is the documentation I followed

https : / / docs2 [.] hubitat [.] com/en/user-interface/settings/hub-mesh (sorry, apparently I can't post links either) - I am unable to see anything new under step 4, so I cannot add the device.

have you seen if TCP vs. UDP makes a difference for you?

Yes, if I turn on TCP (both hubs, I know) the hubs wouldn't talk to each other at all; I'll give this another go, but it looks like the hubs aren't happy with the TCP (these are on the same subnet, although connected to different switches). I'd say I have a pretty decent networking experience, working in the industry for close to two decades, but there is still a possibility something happens to be off. I see the diagnostic tools gone from hubitat, so hard to tell how to troubleshoot this..

There are a few new interesting discoveries that unfolded as i was troubleshooting this:

1. the root hub is unable to execute actions on behalf of the node hub, e.g. i can "hold" or "press" a button in device menu on the node hub, but not on the root hub.
  2. the root hub reports "IllegalStateException" on pretty much every action I try to execute -- refresh, press, hold, double click etc.
  3. the node hub is capable of reporting events to the root hub, so e.g. if a door sensor closes, the root hub gets notified

There is one thing that comes to my mind though. Is it possible that hubs verify each other's self-signed certificates? All devices on the network use a certificate signed by my own root CA (helps resolve all the "untrusted devices" nonsense by simply installing a single certificate on all computers).
This wouldn't make much sense, given that the devices are able to talk to one another over UDP, but that's literally the only thing that i can think of that is "unconventional"

Join the Owner’s group and you’ll be able topost screen shots and links…

1 Like

Thank you! Let me try post these things again!

Node hub

Active hubs:

Device page:

Local devices page:

Local variables page:

Primary hub

Active hubs:

Linked devices:

Linked variables:

I would expect to see the device and variable available to be added here, but alas, neither is showing up.

Oh bummer...

I just learned that Hubitat Mesh did not (and likely still does not) work with custom certificates

Thank you all for your time -- and for enabling me to post links and screenshots. Really appreciate your help!

Correction to the above (now that I got it all sorted out):

• Custom certificates do work,
  • HTTPS-only mesh does not work.

The hubs were able to talk to one another after I toggled HTTPS-only UI mode off, despite custom certificates being installed. I was able to resolve the issue by navigating to hub/advanced/certificates and disabling this switch:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.