Mesh analyzer solving a lot of issues

thats fine if i can find the firmware and s/w i get a spare to use for that fx only

I was able to flash my UZB3 to use as a Zniffer and then later reflashed it to use as a secondary controller. Do not remember all the steps, but it can be done.

Edit: (6/26/2021)I only flashed a few times between firmware versions. Mine died today trying to flash back to use as a zniffer. I would recommend a second stick and not flashing multiple times.

3 Likes

@codahq wrote a guide on getting a zniffer setup: Zniffer Guide

Ya read it. I have an account but the sw is not there. Or the doc is out of date.

The doc is out of date. You now need to download the Simplicity Studio software. From that, all other packages you need to install (including Z-Wave Zniffer) are available as modules. You have to do everything (including the package downloads) from inside the Simplicity Studio software.

You still need an account with silabs.

1 Like

I just followed the link in that doc and the Software was there, still.

Scroll to the bottom of that page and on the right is this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 6.45.58 AM

I clicked the Zniffer option and was offered a login. I did and got this screen:

Including the download file.

That definitely did not work for me over the weekend at all. Silicon Labs website consistently pointed me back to the software page for Simplicity Studio, without making it obvious that it allowed for the modules to be downloaded through it. It was very frustrating, but once I figured out the Simplicity Studio bit, it made much more sense.

I would not be surprised if this was related to having a new account with Silicon Labs, or if you're already established as a developer with them. I'm not a developer, so it might have been limiting me to only certain types of downloads.

ok thanks.. got the file.. now the questions is the f/w for the stick. i aassume i can only use that specific stick (i only have aeotec zstick) so i need to find the fw and buy that specific stick? any links thanks

ok stick on order.. has anyone tried it with a c7 especially s2 since it is older i doubt it will support that hopefully it will be able to sniff all not encrypted ie non-secure traffic anyway.. Does anyone know of an s2/secure sniffer?

Zniffer will do S2 sniffing BUT you have to capture the key to enter the key.

1 Like

i really just need it to see which devices are sending too much data that i am not seeing in the hub to improve my network issues.. i believe at times the network is getting spammed causing issues even though my logs are fairly quiet. So either i will need more extenders or wired devices (i doubt it as already have like 4 extenders on each floor) or i will have to swap out some devices.

Ive had 12 months of z-wave lock ups on c5 ( no issues with ST) , tried zniffing but couldn't see anything. Decided to swap out my z-wave devices slowly, touch wood, after removing a fibro double switch module I've not had any issues.......
It was one of the 1st devices I put on HE and it joined fine 1st time. It was on of the physically furthest and when zniffing a lot of devices went though it, they just seam to pick silly routes

1 Like

This gives a 404 on a C4 Hub... is this C7-only code?

Should work on all hubs, try it with your hub’s IP address instead of hubitat.local?

1 Like

Yes, did that. Still "404", which is a response from the web server AFTER you have contacted it.
A "404" does not mean that you did not reach the web server, it is a reply from the web server that the specific page you are seeing was not found.

I appended "http://" as a prefix, and it worked then... might be an issue with the handling of the default "https://" prefixes being appended by all browsers these days - a note for the maintainer of the tiny little web server built into the Hubitat.

1 Like

Poor (or Smart) Man's tilt sensor for cheap:

1. Take any door/window sensor, mount on garage door
  2. Mount any old scrap/spare hinge above the sensor with the hinge pin at top.
  3. Glue the door sensor magnet to the front lower edge of the hinge, within range of the sensor.

When the door opens, the hinge opens and hangs down, and the sensor detects "open".
When the door closes, the hinge closes, and the sensor detects "closed".

No, you don't know the exact angle, but garage door openers don't stop in the middle, they return to fully open if a problem prevents them from closing fully.

1 Like

Its a good idea. My contact sensors have been flawless. I can easily mount a sensor on the side of the door and mount the magnet either off the track or the wall.

The hinge method is really smart and replicates the behavior. Appreciate the idea!!!

I am curious as to why you couldn't just mount the contact sensor on the side of the garage door? The reason I ask it I am thinking about doing this. I don't need to figure out tilting just if it is open. Is there something I am missing?

Otherwise sounds like a very simple/compact solution! Thanks for the idea..

Also thinking a hinge like this might be good..

https://www.amazon.com/National-Hardware-N147-181-Chest-Hinges/dp/B000FPAKQE/

Pretty expensive for the sensor and the hinge. Why not just get a tilt sensor that's designed for this application? Don't have to worry about greasing the hinge either.

1 Like

If you're just doing it to tinker some then why not swap out the ball switch with a mercury switch?

1 Like