I would like to attempt to migrate my C5 (using a C4 z wave/zigbee dongle) to a C7. Hub protect won’t work in this situation, so I’ll be moving things by hand. I have a ton of custom stuff (Node-red runs all automations, custom integrations I’ve written, etc), so I was planning on using the Swap Apps Device feature for the Z-wave devices (I believe zigbee will “just work” (i.e. retain existing device linkage) if I re-add them to the new hub). What am I missing here?
- Create a backup on C5
- Create place holder virtual devices for all my z-wave devices.
- Swap Apps Device from primary z-wave device to the new virtual devices.
- Create another backup of C5. Shut down C5. (I could probably exclude/remove all z-wave devices in this step too)
- Restore backup of C5 to C7.
- Exclude devices (with z-stick) in order I plan to add them to the C7 - aeontec repeaters, mains-powered devices, locks, then other battery powered devices
- Swap Apps Device back from Virtual -> New devices on C7.
- Change DHCP reservation for C7 to be old C5’s IP.
- Validate cloud service connectivity as Hub ID GUID will have changed (Alexa, Internet-accessible Dashboards)
Am I missing anything? Will this go horribly bad? My main motivation for upgrading is to get the advanced zwave tools. These Schlage locks suck (I know, I need to replace them), and I’m hoping starting over with repeaters at the beginning of the mesh will help ease that pain. Is that a fools errand?
- Is there a point in the first backup? Once I exclude a device using a z-stick, it’s not like I can “get it back in the original state” without re-adding the z-wave devices and “Swap Apps Device” back from the place holder.
Thanks in advance!