MakerAPI - any practical device limit on number of devices?

Wanted to check if there is a "best practice" around the max number of devices exposed via a single instance of MakerAPI. I currently have about 75 devices shared with Node-RED, about 40 to Homebridge and another 15 to a test instance of Node-RED (each is a separate instance of MakerAPI app).

I'm not seeing any problems (C-5, 2.2.8.147) but thought I would ping the community to see. Thanks for your help.

I don't know of any - You do have to be careful not to make too many simultaneous requests though.. You can temporarily bog things down. Usually put a small delay in between a bunch of calls.

2 Likes

Yeah - I've been trying to do that. I think there is one flow that has a bunch of simultaneous actions (it's the lights off routine) but I haven't seem too much of a delay there.

1 Like

You can also set up a group in HE and use that to toggle in NR. Works great too..

2 Likes

The thing you really have to watch out for is that if you send too many commands to maker API at the same time they will error out, not just be slow. So you will start losing commands sometimes.

The node red nodes try to throttle this for you, but if you're doing a lot of commands outside of node red you may see this.

2 Likes

@rakeshg

In case you missed this, for mission critical sequences, I recommend using this subflow that @JasonJoel posted a few months ago:

2 Likes

I did miss it - thanks for the link. Will check it out....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.