Maker API and Virtual Devices

I'm having problems with postURL feedback when using virtual devices to test the work I'm doing to integrate a 3rd party system with Hubitat. For example, I've created a virtual switch and added it to the Maker API list of selected devices. If I send an http command to my Hubitat to turn that switch on/off then the Hubitat does what I would expect and sends a post message back to my 3rd party system with the new status of the virtual switch.

However, if I use the web portal on my Hubitat, go to devices, select the virtual switch, use my mouse to press the on/off buttons to control the virtual switch, then I don't receive any post messages with the updated switch status.

How can I get the Maker API app to send post messages when the web portal is used to control a virtual device. I've also tested this with the Hubitat app on my phone and I'm running into the same problem. I was hoping to use virtual devices to test my code since I don't have a wide selection of hardware to connect to the Hubitat for testing.

Thanks in advance for the help

I have tons of virtual devices that send updates through the MakerAPI post feature. Have you enabled logging in the MakerAPI app and see if you see anything in the log while you change the virtual device?

One thing to keep in mind, you will only get changes. Let’s say you press “on” three times in a row, you’ll only see one post event as the state didn’t change

Thanks @dan.t

This tells me it is a "personal problem" and I just have to work through what is going on. At least my plan to use virtual devices for testing is intact; which was my big concern.

Thanks again

Figured it out. I used a switch as an example but had been testing a virtual presence sensor. Finally realized I hadn't turned on the setting for sending location events. Doh!

Thanks for the help

2 Likes

I thought this problem was solved when I turned on the setting in the Maker API app settings to send location events and my virtual presence sensor started sending post messages to my third party system. However, now I just added a virtual motion sensor and it is having the same problem. All the other virtual devices I've added so far (virtual switch and virtual presence sensor) are working perfectly. It is just the virtual motion sensor that is exhibiting the same behavior as the presence sensor before I changed the option in settings. Any ideas for making the motion sensor send post commands would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help

After adding the virtual motion sensor did you add it to Maker API devices? Just checking as I've forgotten this before.

Might want to go into the devices/verify and save again.

Thanks @jeubanks. Yes it definitely is in the Maker API list of devices. I’ll give the devices/verify a try

Thanks again

Well, after rebooting my hub and rebooting my 3rd party processor the virtual motion sensor started working. Thanks

I suppose I should have asked if you tried rebooting the hub... :slight_smile: