Major performance problems

I suddenly have major performance problems - version 2.2.6.129. When clicking on a "Schlage lock" in Devices to lock or unlock it, it takes sometimes 15-20 seconds before it locks/unlocks, sometimes it does not do a thing at all. It is the same when using the Dashboard. "Sending" shows up and nothing happens.

The same behavior is also happening with Kasa based devices, I just thought it could be the Kasa integration, but ultimately the same behavior. Totally unusable.

With a total of 54 devices, I assume the device is not overloaded either.

Rebooting the hub does not do anything and I am reluctant with resetting the configuration as I have no interest re-programming all the automation I have configured.

Thoughts?

1. If you revert to the previous platform version, does the issue go away?
  2. What do your logs show?
  3. How many and what z-wave devices do you have - can post a screenshot of the Z-Wave Details page?
  4. How many Kasa devices do you have?
  5. What about other devices?
  6. What drivers are you using? Built-in or user? Which user drivers?
  7. Same for apps

I have 2 Schlage BE469ZP locks on a C-7 now running 2.2.6.129. Both locks each have a Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2 within a few feet of the lock.

While I am not seeing what you are reporting (and the behavior hasn’t changed with 2.2.6, was there with 2.2.5), I am seeing it take 2 lock/unlock commands from the driver page to cause action (doesn’t matter whether the commands are sent spaced by many seconds, or just a second), as others have recently reported, too.

Nothing fancy really:

Devices Bond 2
Z-Wave 9
Kasa 22
Lutron 7
MyQ 2
Schlage 1
Zigbee 2
Apps MyQ Lite
Kasa Integration
Bond home integration
Drivers Aotec Z-Wave repeater
BOND drivers
Iris Z-Wave repeater
Kasa devices
MyQ drivers

The previous version had problems as well (rollback does not fix it), but it really became unusable now.

Oh - and everything is on a simple network without subnets. Plus IP based devices have static IPs and work 100% fine with their native apps (e.g. Kasa app).

Try a Soft Reset and see if it improves the situation.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

Download a backup of your database before starting the Soft Reset

i have seen kasa cause issues my hub with only 8 or so devices.. 22 is quite a few cloud devices . they can take a long time to respond espicially if you have a couple of bad ones that are having signal issues.. i just recently replaced a couple of mine i could tell because of long times.. post the device and app status info.. see if any kasa devices under device status are real high on the list.. that is how i isolated a couple of mine that needed replacment. the ok switches had avg ms in the 100-200 range..the bad ones where well over 2-3 secs.

3 Likes

Yes, already tried that - no difference. Also, nothing in the logs that would indicate a problem.

Disable the Kasa devices (disable not delete). Reboot and see if the hub becomes usable. I think that @kahn-hubitat's observations are very relevant here.

1 Like

also it depends on what kasa devices.. if you have em power monitoring plugs like me are doing polling or have them check power usage too often that too can cause a draw on the hub.

that being said i really like power monitoring kasa switches.. they are one of the few wifi switches that return to previous state after a power outage, and i tried quite a few.. most turn off.
They also are one of the few that have a local non cloud interface that works with hubitat.

I use them on most of my computers and routers.. i have some on a backup att acess point network so i can reboot the main cable modem and router and vice versa, as i have one of the houses always empty.

2 Likes

ok. will remove the Kasa devices completely and see if that makes a difference. I had problems with a few of them in the past... but I really like that they are so dirt cheap :slight_smile:

They are all HS-105, no polling and 15 minute refresh.

mine are mostly hs-110 with a couple of newer mini kp115 power monitoring. i replaced a couple of the hs-110 that seemed to go bad and kept dropping on and off the network and having signal issues as i mentioned.. especially the ones that were plugged in behind an ups.. the replacments however are working fine and not having that issue so i assume they do go bad.

i have no polling and 5 minute refresh with most of my switches a couple are longer (10 minutes) like the sprinkler controller switch since i dont really care how often that checks..

so 15 minutes should not be an issue.

they are also nice becuase you can create a cloud schedule.. which i do on the routers and modems to turn on every 4 hours or so, So if you do a dip â– â– â– â–  move and accidentially turn it off and loose all internet for some reason, or for some reason they dont return to last state it will still come back on in the empty house and the main internet will boot back up!!!

@kahn-hubitat Thanks - good to know that they are kind of known to cause problems - I ordered some more Zigbee plugs and will replace the Kasa ones over time.

1 Like

Zigbee 3.0 plugs are also really cheap now.

ya i only mainly use them on stuff that needs to be on wifi so i can reboot from the main or backup wifi.. in fact the hubitat hub is on one as well so i can reboot that if needed in either house .

3 Likes

did disabling the kasa devices fix your issue?

1 Like

Yes, overall performance seems to be better. When looking at the response/processing times in the logs section, some of the kasa devices had an average response time of 15 seconds. Looks like there will be a lot of Kasa plugs for sale on ebay soon....

The Schlage lock issue seems to be unrelated.

4 Likes