Lutron Telnet?

Hi all. I have a Lutron Caseta hub that is in my HK platform and now trying to add my Lutron devices into HE. I have Lutron Telnet in my HE devices list. I have no idea what Telnet is? I don’t want Telnet - I want my switches and plugs. Where did I fail?

Assuming you have Lutron Caséta Smart Hub Pro, follow these directions to integrate your Caséta devices with Hubitat.

1 Like

Telnet is how Hubitat communicates with the Lutron Bridge Pro.

Lutron doesn't automatically add devices to Hubitat like a Z-wave or Zigbee device. Follow aaiyar's link above to get your configuration from the Lutron Bridge, and then add them into the Lutron Integration App in Hubitat.

1 Like

I do not have the Caseta Pro (i’ve never even heard of it before now) just the poor man’s basic Caseta hub.

The HE Lutron integration requires the Pro hub.

1 Like

Take a look at this link. The model lutron hub you need is in there and overall the thread might help you as a new user to avoid some gotchas.

2 Likes

This is the guy you need. In the description, it implies the hub supports wifi. It actually has to be plugged into an ethernet port.

https://smile.amazon.com/Lutron-Caseta-L-BDGPRO2-WH-SmartBridge-Programmed/dp/B00Z8AXQCQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1I1GA866LYBA2&keywords=lutron+pro+hub&qid=1673608278&sprefix=lutron+pro%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-4&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0

3 Likes

I’m hoping I have really misunderstood the situation here. Are you guys telling me I have to spend another $150 to buy another Lutron Caseta hub in order to get my Lutron switches to work with Hubitat? That can’t be right. I’ve already spent $80 for the normal Caseta Hub (the one that MOST people use) and $100 on the Hubitat hub (don’t care if that’s the sale price or not) and my Lutron gear works perfectly fine with Homekit. Lutron is the single most favorite device in any smart home and it can’t be the case that I have to have this over the top version of a pro hub instead of the regular hub in this environment.

1 Like

Yes. Though you can find them cheaper on ebay... The basic hub is cloud only. (Well it handles leap too but hubitat doesn't do leap) the ra2 hub and the caseta pro 2 hub are the only hubs that do telnet

2 Likes

Once Lutron goes genuinely official with their Leap API, I expect Hubitat will support that too (and that won't require a Pro bridge).

But that all hinges on Lutron, and they are notoriously secretive about upcoming plans. It'll no doubt happen eventually, but no one knows when, how quickly etc.

Home Assistant has reverse engineered Leap and is using it now, but it's risky for a user since Lutron is not obligated right now to give any heads-up that they are changing/refining/etc the Leap API.

5 Likes

@user3829

This clearly isn’t what you want to hear, but @hydro311 succinctly summarized the issues at hand.

The only published integration interface that Lutron supports is via telnet. Those who use their LEAP API, which remains subject to change, have reverse-engineered it.

It is prudent for a company, with paid engineers, such as Hubitat Inc., to not jump into creating a LEAP integration, until Lutron publishes an API.

Because Home Assistant and Homebridge rely on unpaid volunteers, they are not subject to the same fiscal prudence.

4 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

It is worth every penny once you get it going. You can sell your old hub for good money on eBay.

1 Like

Here is how to switch for a Hub to a Hub PRO

• You have remove all Lutron devices.
  • Factory reset the hub
  • Setup the new Hub Pro
  • Add your devices <<<consider buying the new Diva and Claro version if you have not purchased yet.
1 Like

@user3829 - this is definitely one option, and if your needs are immediate, this is a good way to proceed.

The other option is patience. I would guess than within a year or two Hubitat is likely to add LEAP support, especially if they decide to add support for Lutron RA3, which only offers LEAP as means for integration.

2 Likes

We can all hope.

1 Like

I actually like the new Diva, Claro and Claro Accessory better then RA3 and I am a Lutron installer. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Another option is to use Home Assistant as a bridge between Caseta and Hubitat. HA can talk Leap, and the Home Assistant Device Bridge (HADB) can bring HA devices into HE.

3 Likes

Thank you everybody I do love how friendly this community is. I am even more disappointed because Brilliant wall pads can work Lutron, but they have to go through the ST app for some reason.

When I learned of the HomeKit integration with HE, I got excited because I was having a difficult time with Homebridge. Unfortunately, for me, HE has become more cumbersome and difficult for me to use than Homebridge ever was. Thank you all for your help and best of luck with all of your smart homes, but I think I’ll be returning my Hubitat and I’ll have to be patient that all of this technology will slowly come together over time.

3 Likes

Totally understandable. Getting different systems to talk to each other is the bane of home automation. Perhaps Matter will resolve some of these issues.

2 Likes