Lutron, smartthings and hubitat

I migrated from st to he a while back but i still have my st hub collecting dust but i recent just bought a new house and take possession in a couple weeks and want to put lutron caseta switches in there. Now i don't have the money to upgrade everything at once but looking to do it over the course of the year.

I know for he and lutron integration i need the pro hub but the starter kits have a hub and some device/remote to get me started and on Amazon i can get these for under 100 in some cases. Whereas the pro hub is closer to 200 with no switches. (CAD currency) and 8 even saw a two dinner kit for 189.

Now my question is if i power up my st hub and link lutron with that then use the hub connect app (i think that's what it was called), can i expose lutron to hubitat through that and then after i start getting a few devices i can look at getting the pro hub and then eliminate st again.

I do understand the whole cloud vs local control and benefits but I'm trying to do this with least amount of cost to start and if i don't like the lutron stuff I'm not out much but i guess the start kits only really include 1 device with hub and some of the dimmers are in or around 80. I could also look on eBay as well, which i haven't done yet.

That will work for the dimmers and switches. But you’ll be unable to use Pico remotes as button controllers.

And as long as that isn’t something you care about, your approach should work (until ST no longer supports Groovy apps/drivers).

Oh interesting that pico remotes wouldn't be exposed but this is why I'm asking before i go ahead and do anything.

Why would the pico remotes not work. Are they not exposed through Smartthings.

You can also use Samsung Automation Studio throgh Node-Red as well to integrate between the two systems.

AFAIK, not with the non-pro bridge.

There are two open box L-BDGPRO2 hubs on sale now on eBay for $89.00 (USD). That’s about what I paid for mine.

1 Like

89 us is starting bid and doesn't ship to Canada but I'll look on ebay Canada to see what i can find too

1 Like

By the time you buy the kits then get rid of the non pro hub for the pro hub you'll have spent more money. I know the initial outlay of the pro 2 hub is a bit pricey but might as well do it now so you can do it right. Google shopping is showing most place have it for around $150.

2 Likes

Prices in CAD are a bit more, I've seen some pretty good prices in US but not for CAD. I don't want to start buying devices I can't use yet since I want to be able to return them if I got a dud or something.

For some reason, when I originally made this post, I was thinking those start kits came with more then they did and the bundled price made it good starting point. Although when I can get the starter for about 100 CAD with hub and switch or dimmer it's a lot cheaper buy in (especially if I won't like them), whereas the pro hub is 189 and cheapest kit I found so far was 250 so not really saving anything doing it that way.

Yeah but if you buy the non pro version, then later buy the pro version That's gonna be more money in the long run. Also no telling when ST is pulling groovy support and then you're dead in the water. Then there is relying on a cloud device instead of local control via telnet.

1 Like

I understand the whole spending more money but it really comes down to maybe a extra $20 I'd be spending if I can get a starter kit for $100 since a lot of the switches are in or around $70-90 (seems to fluctuate a little around there) then I could turn around and sell the old hub.

1 Like

If it makes any difference, Home Assistant (HA) works locally with the non-Pro Caséta hub, including support for Picos. And there’s a Hubitat integration for Home Assistant that brings HA paired devices into Hubitat.

Search the Hubitat community for “Home Assistant Device Bridge”. This integration would permit use of the non-pro Caséta bridge for all your Caséta devices within Hubitat.

Considering how inexpensive it can be to get HA up and running (especially if you have hardware capable of running it in a Docker instance), this would seem to be a cheaper alternative to purchasing a pro-bridge.

1 Like

I've looked at HA and do have a Rpi sitting around and just may have to look into that in more detail again once I get things figured out at the house. i had installed it on my pi a while back but then it ended up going back in a box and haven't really looked at it again.

I have some hue bulbs that will work in the bedrooms but I know there was some areas of the house where a switch would be better served for that and the ability to use picos will be nice as well.

1 Like