Lutron RadioRa3 announced / Integration with LEAP

They must be doing something of a soft launch as I've not seen any official announcement. But if you look at the integration page it does now list both RadioRA 3 and HomeWorks QSX.

1 Like

I installed it as a custom component from the GitHub page a few months back. Just recently they have been cleaning it up and getting it ready to roll out. Still a few issues with keypad naming and no access to scenes.

1 Like

It is a solid company.

I think with the new 'Caseta Diva line up' it is clear that the Caseta Smart Hub Pro is not going anywhere so our fear of RA3 was just that. The new switches are amazing and I see no reason to even consider RA3 at this time.

I also noticed that the new switches handle some LEDs better than the old ones.

1 Like

Ooo.. what do you mean by this?
I have a few old switches without neutral and struggle to find LEDs with the right load that prevent ghosting.

The ghosting means you need to replace the LEDs regardless (though I have not tried it with a new switch). I am referring to LED that kind of flash on and then dim; the new switches took care of this issue.

1 Like

The new switches are more LED friendly for sure.

1 Like

@bravenel @mike.maxwell RadioRA 2 Main Repeater EOL on June 1:

Notice to Lutron's Valued Customers:
As we continue to evolve our lighting and shading control innovations, we must evaluate the need for earlier versions of Lutron products and technologies.

As of June 1, 2023, Lutron will discontinue the following RA2 SKUs:
RR-MAIN-REP: RadioRA 2 Main Repeater
All starter kits containing the RadioRA 2 Main Repeater
RRT-G: Grafik T RF Dimmer, Keypad, and Hybrid Keypad

Hopefully there will be a LEAP integration for new RadioRA 3-Hubitat customers.

1 Like

Catching back up on this thread. I'm guessing there is no RA3 implementation for HE as of now?

Correct. In their infinite wisdom (control) Lutron will not give us the spec.

3 Likes

I noticed the other day the ra2 repeater was discontinued.

I did the level 2 lutron training awhile back and have all the gear from their training kit. After long delays i am finally in my new place.

I dont know if i should purchase more ra2 stuff to complete my house setup. I really like ra2 mainly for the keypads but also have casetta stuff and numerous picos.

So i am really looking for the communities thoughts and pros and cons of the various ways to use what i have or if i should bite the bullet and purchase ra3 stuff? It doesnt look likely hubitat will be able to support ra3 in the near future without lutron cooperation so that may be a deal breaker there?

In 2023 how would you experts build out your system?

No reason to jump to RadioRA 3 unless you want the Sunnata style controls. I like the Maestro stuff well enough and you can change colors easily. IMO the seeTouch keypads are more useful than the Sunnata style. There are lots of Main Repeaters on eBay right now. Maybe buy a backup. One RA3 item that I find useful is the outdoor switch. But since you already have Caséta you can save >50% and just use the Caséta version that is really exactly the same thing. Hard to know what the future will hold for Hubitat, there are some reverse engineered LEAP implementations including for Home Assistant. I believe there are still some gaps in those implementations.

4 Likes

I actually like the new Caseta switches more. I used to like the RA2 stuff but customers prefer Caseta because they are standard looking switches. I even tested charging more for Caseta because of the 75 limit and every customer chose it over RA2.

Yes I have made that 75 limit work like never before in huge homes. I use three way switches at every chance because they do not count. If I do hit the limit I can add a second hub or even a few Zigbee switches since I always include a Habitat. If I double up on hubs I usually do so based on lighting and some Pico/Keypads on one hub and shades and Pico/Keypads on the other. Habitat marries the two nicely.