Lutron QS System with Shades/Lights

Hello Everyone. I received my Hubitat last night and I am excited to get everything ingested. I do have a question regarding my Lutron QS system that I had professionally installed. Luckily the company I had install it is willing to work with me on this, but I do have some questions about all of this.

Hardware: HomeWorks QS (HQP6-2), Hybrid Repeater, Connect Bridge (CONNECT-BDG2)

1. I am usually the tech guy, but with this Lutron install, I decided to have a company do it. What this created is a lack of control on my end. :smile: The system uses software called HomeWorks QS Design. The installer is willing to help me access the account that manages my system, but it would be great if I could have full access. I have asked if this is possible, but I am guessing that you need to be a professional.

2. Would I be able to integrate Hubitat with my QS system? I can't seem to find much information on QS Systems and how to set up Telnet.

3. If I am able to integrate the two, can I do this with the design software I have? The installers are telling me that the essentials software mentioned in the guide is for the RA2 system.

That should be enough questions to get me started. Thanks again!

I tried to attach some images or links to my images, but it looks like I am not able to do that here. :frowning:

I'd suggest starting to read beginning there...

Thanks for the reply. I saw that post and it gave me hope that the QS system would work. I guess I was hoping to see if there was anyone who knew how to access the QS system using telnet to change the username/password. I'll keep digging and see if I can figure it out.

@bravenel might be able to help.

Are you talking about Grafik Eye QS? The default username/password should work (lutron/integration). There is an option in the Lutron Telnet device that needs to be selected, and you need to know it's IP address:

No, it's not a Grafik Eye QS. I can't provide links or photos, but if you google Lutron HomeWorks QS, that is the line that I have.

I installed the Lutron Integrator App, then created a new integration. When I enter the Lutron IP and try to connect, I look into the logs and see the following. Timestamps are from bottom to top:

Telnet connect failed, trying again in 60 seconds...
Lutron Telnet went offline
initialize error: connect timed out
installed...

Looks like the HomeWorks QS system does support using Telnet for integration, as shown below. Looks like the configuration software needs to enable the Telnet feature and set the username/password.

from

1 Like

That's awesome, thanks @ogiewon! Looks like I'll need to tap into the QS software to turn it on and set the creds.

If any Lutron owners come across this, I am also curious how the ownership of being able to manage the Lutron system can go. Right now I am at the beck and call of the installer to have them help make any changes. I am curious if I am able to take ownership and have my own Lutron account or if I need to be a professional.

1 Like

As stated in the link above, your dealer will need to set up a login "lutron" with password "integration" as those are hard coded into Hubitat. Your installer may advise against it, as Lutron removed those default credentials a while ago, but as of now you can't do anything else in Hubitat and any security risk is pretty low.

You will not ever get access to configure your system (with the small exception of a Homeowner Keypad that you can configure on the phone app). HomeWorks is a dealer only system. End users can take training to get access to RadioRA 2, but that won't help you.

You will be able to control most of your devices via Hubitat. You'll be limited to RadioRA 2 equivalent level functionality, but that still gives you a fair amount of control.

2 Likes

Hey guys, I was able to set the telnet login and password to my Lutron QS system and transfer it over. I did a test and was also able to telnet into the system via the command prompt.

The problem I am having is that it is not connecting in Hubitat. I'm not sure if it matters, but the telnet port for the QS system is 23. I don't know what the Hubitat Lutron app is using or how to potentially change that.

@csteele would you have any idea what might be preventing the connection?

Telnet connect failed, trying again in 60 seconds...
Lutron Telnet is still offline
initialize error: null

Telnet is port 23 (SSH is 22)

I added the Lutron Integrator App to my Development hub seconds ago....

I pasted in the IP address and gave it a Name. Clicked done and looking at the logs I see:

Given how easy it was, I have to suspect the login credentials. Maybe a typo?

The ONLY allowed id/pw is: lutron/integration

The IP address has to be of the Lutron "hub" and the ID must be "lutron" and the pw must be "integration".

1 Like

Good news! Like anything IT related, sometimes just rebooting the device fixes the issue. :smile:

Everything is working as expected. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.