Lutron Pico

Good afternoon.
I have searched and found several posts on Lutron Pico controllers.
In one set of posts it looks like you require a Lutron hub to make these work with HE. In another post someone mentions using a Pico fast driver.
Has HE updated firmware so that the luton Pico wireless controller works directly with Hubitat?
Lastly...for @jwetzel1492 ....will the lutron Pico controller work with your switch bindings....on another note....the Tradfri dimmer is still on my desk...havent sent it yet but your name is literally written on the box!

Cheers
Mac

All Lutron require a "hub" or in Lutron speak, bridge. Most people use the Caseta line, so they would use the Pro Bridge 2. It has to be the PRO series to work with Hubitat. If you are using Lutron RA2, there is a similar bridge.

1 Like

thanks....will look for a hub before buying the pico....now just need @jwetzel1492 to confirm if switch bindings will work across a pro bridge hub...
I'm trying to put a few of these round the house for areas i have zwave dimmers.
Thanks

L-BDGPRO2-WH Caseta Wireless Smart Bridge PRO?
ebay have a couple.
Mac

You want a Pico to run a Z-wave dimmer? You should be able to do that with the built-in Button Controller accessed via Rule Machine.

Here is a Pico operating a Zigbee bulb. I have others operating both Zigbee and Zwave.

2 Likes

Yup that's the one.

2 Likes

Picos (and Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers) communicate using Lutron's Clear Connect protocol that operates somewhere around 433 Mhz. In the Hubitat environment, a Pico (as well as Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers) would connect using Clear Connect to a Lutron Caseta Pro Hub. The Caseta Pro Hub then communicates with the Hubitat Hub using Telnet over wired ethernet. On the Hubitat Hub, you run the Lutron Integration and that allows you to create devices in Hubitat for the Lutron devices on your Caseta Pro Hub. So a Pico "talks" to the Lutron Caseta Pro Hub which "talks" to the Hubitat Hub. The Picos can be configured as Button Controllers in Hubitat and they will then work with lots of different devices (Lutron and non-Lutron) that you have configured on your Hubitat Hub.

2 Likes

I believe the only difference between the fast pico driver and the regular pico driver is that the fast driver has no button “held” action; this allows automations to be run a fraction of a second more quickly since the driver doesn’t have to wait to determine whether you’re pushing or holding a button. That small difference can be noticeable when it comes to lighting control.

3 Likes

...and when control a downdraft rise/lower. Up is no too bad, but if down is not stopped immediately it makes the gears slip until it does. This setting helps.

Appreciate the replies. I think i'll wait till i can find a good remote that is directly compatible with HE rather than investing in a Lutron hub just to get the pico capability....now as a suggestion........for future development. I wonder if HE would consider developing a USB stick that might integrate with some of these other frequency devices. Gives HE another item to sell and keeps the solution internal rather than across platforms. While i appreciate that HE needs to have compatibility for those who have already existing smart things or Lutron...etc. For those of us wanting to take advantage of the devices available...would really like to simplify the interfaces.
Never hurts to ask!
Cheers
Mac

Seem unlikely at least in the case of Lutron ClearConnect. That being said, back when the Staples Connect device existed, it had an integrated ClearConnect radio in it, so Lutron is (was) willing to license their IP.

I think the issue is the cost of licensing it from Lutron.

3 Likes

So did both Wink hubs. However, I believe Lutron isn't willing to license their tech any more.

For one thing, it competes with sales of their Caseta bridges. The first Caseta bridge was released in June 2014 - so the Staples hardware and the original Wink hardware (and license) pre-date it.

2 Likes

If you want a Pico form factor, and especially if you want it to look like a normal wall switch, the RGB Genie remote are Zigbee and are compatible with Hubitat. They are not quite as versatile as a Pico, but good enough for lights, dimmers, etc. They lack held and release function on two of the 5 buttons if I am remembering correctly.

The trouble is with devices other than Pico is the cost. At $15 or so each for a Pico, vs $25 or more for other buttons, there becomes a break-even point where buying the Lutron Bridge makes sense. If I recall correctly, it was something like 7-8 Pico is typically that point.

2 Likes

There is also the fantastic Advanced Button Controller app (Community app) that works great with the Picos once you have them set up.

2 Likes

Many people are concerned about canabalizing part of their sales revenue. You have to think that the bigger prize is selling all of their hardware ( switches, dinners, outlets...etc) however. Hopefully things start to converging in the future on sharing protocol vs trying to go it alone.
Guess it all depends on their business model. But in my case, the reward of using Lutron is simply not great enough to pop 80 to 100 just to have access to their hardware.
Cheers.

I used to think that as well... However, once I bought the Caseta Smart Bridge Pro2 and a few Pico remotes, I was hooked. I ripped out all of my Z-Wave switches and dimmers (most of them older non Plus models) and have replaced those, plus all other manual switches with Caseta switches, dimmers, fan controllers, and pico remotes. By far the best home automation purchase I have made in terms of build quality, reliability, responsiveness, and integration options.

6 Likes

There's a couple reasons that Lutron is unlikely to go down that route. First, as I mentioned, there's the market share factor. Second, Lutron is known as a leader in lighting automation. Wink's ClearConnect implementation is not well done; by encouraging/permitting integration, Lutron ensures the end-user has a consistently high experience (thereby encouraging future purchases).

1 Like

I'm down to 4 z-wave+ switches and 1 z-wave+ dimmer. Everything else is Caseta. When one factors in the utility of Picos as button controllers (and their price at under $15), the Pro hub more or less pays for itself.

2 Likes

I am going to end up getting these anyway for testing and recommendation to some interested clients I think..

Thanks to the SONOS debacle I am really uneasy about single source controlled products. On the plus side I know Lutron has been around for a long time and that they won't/can't just cut off functioning once things are set up and working. I guess HE provides the flexibility and workarounds in the event something does go south.

My wife is not crazy about the look however which is why we still have traditional toggles.

1 Like