Lutron Physical Change Rule

So my thought was to create a rule that says if a certain light is changed physically then to run a rule.

It seems like the Lutron lights don’t work with physical rule triggers.

Has anyone got this to work ?

Are you looking for a physical dimmer or a physical switch?

1 Like

I haven't tried it. The do appear to be selectable - if selected do they not work?

1 Like

You have to select the physical device when selecting the trigger events - note there is an entry for switch and for physical switch as well as dimmer and physical dimmer level . . .

1 Like

This is what I did. Chose physical switch, selected a switch and created an action to turn on a virtual switch.

It doesn’t work.

Strange. That works for me.

Yes, I just tried it in my hall bathroom and it works. My rule was to send a pushover message if the fan switch (a Lutron Caseta Switch) was turned on physically. My motion rule turned it on - no message. I reached in and hit the button - got the pushover message. Worked as I would have expected it. And I learned something new!

1 Like

And taught me something new! So here's something in return that you may or may not know. If you control the switch using the Lutron app, that will considered as a "Physical Switch" or "Physical Dimmer" trigger by HE.

Rule:

Log:

Important detail to know! Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry guys, I realized I was trying to kick off the rule while the light was already on. I realize it needs to be off first, then physically turn it on....

I was hoping if somebody walked into the bathroom, the motion lighting turned on the light like normal. If somebody wanted to take a shower, to hit the physical button on and it would turn on a virtual switch which turns off motion lighting.

Problem is, the light is already on so it won’t trigger...

OK, I follow. I didn't try that but I take your word for it.

How about this - my motion rule turns on the light (dimmer value - based on mode - time of day) - when you enter the bathroom, if you want to over-ride, hit the UP button on the dimmer. You can catch that PHYSICAL action and then use it as you wish . . .

Rule:

Logs:

My bathrooms only have an on and off switch. No dimmer.

There is a remedy for that . . .

:grinning:

Honestly - I don't own any stock in Lutron (actually, I think they are privately owned).

Lutron is privately held.

1 Like